Re: U.S. Postal Service proposal: restricting domain names to street addresses

At 06:23 AM 8/15/98 -0400, Michael Sondow wrote:
>	Perhaps if it were on a voluntary basis, that would work to the
>benefit of the groups in the situations you describe, without taking
>liberty away from others. But I am afraid that the Post Office wouldn't
>stop with a voluntary association. Certainly the government, or rather

It IS voluntary.

There is always a danger that someone, somewhere will do something bad.

If we make this kind of unbounded fear our paramount concern, nothing gets
done.

Ever.

At 09:18 AM 8/15/98 -0400, Michael Sondow wrote:
>	All these various schemes, including the current one by the Post
>Office, may or may not be useful to one community or another, and may or
>may not be economically viable, but what they all have in common is a
>return to the location of communications in geographical space rather

It is nothing of the sort.  It is a mechanism for easily assigning
addressing references, to facilitate scaling the system up, to give net
addresses to everyone in the world.  It does not preclude other addressing
schemes.

Please do not impose your own social agendas to the technical task of
aiding in the very daunting task of developing an easy-to-administer
address assignment scheme.  The result of your effort will be to restrict,
not enable, use of the net.

If you have an alternative scheme which is as easy to administer, please
write it up and propose it.

d/

Dave CROCKER                            <mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>

Tel: +1 408 246 8253     BRANDENBURG CONSULTING      Tel: +60 19 3299 445
675 Spruce Drive                                      P. O.  Box 296, UPM
Sunnyvale, CA 94086       www.brandenburg.com     Serdang, Selangor 43400
United States            Fax:  +1 408 273 6464                   Malaysia