Re: [ifwp] Re: Non-commercial speech on the Internet

At 03:38 PM 8/17/98 -0400, Martin B. Schwimmer wrote:

>I think that we are probably in agreement on many important issues
>regarding the DNS - and I think neither of us want an unfair Dispute
>Resolution Policy (i.e. NSI) or to have a New IANA which does not take into
>account the rights of users (commercial or non-commercial) of the Internet.
>

>At 11:56 AM 8/17/98 EDT, you wrote:
>>Martin:
>>
>>Price Waterhouse conducted a study last year which it entitled "Top
>>Web/Internet Activities."  It listed activities and time spent and found:
>>
>>research   43%
>>email       34%
>>games     9%
>>online mag/news  5%
>>online banking    2%
>>two way voice    1%
>>shopping   1%.

I guess this applies to the half the net that isn't porn.

I suspect the real world might look something like this:

downloadng dirty pictures: 75%
reading and telling jokes: 15%
flaming people on usenet: 5%
arguing with idiots (by definition, anybody you don't agree with)  4%
other stuff: 1%

>Whether a word is a dictionary word is one of several factors in
>determining whether a mark is Strong, and therefore can prevent a broad

"Strong" marks is only codified in US trademark law, is it not ?

>range of uses.  APPLE is a dictionary word and is an exceptionally strong
>mark that will be granted protection far beyond its actual use.  This is
>not because APPLE is a big company that is greedy - it is because the
>consumer will assume that Apple Computer is the source of, for example,
>most of types of computer software and hardware under the mark APPLE -
>regardless of whether Apple in fact sells that product.

Not at all. Apple is the ecord company that published the
"Hey Jude" 45. From this we can conclude:

1) I'm old
2) I never see or use macs
--
Richard J. Sexton       |    Cheap ISDN feeds.
richard@vrx.net         |    Creative domain names.