Re: [ifwp] Re: new iana draft bylaws

At 06:25 PM 8/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Law is one thing. Practicality is another.
>
>>This is not close to being the law and is pretty extreme as a policy
>>recommendation as well.  How many of the readers out there agree that
>>coca-cola should have to registera all of these variations in order to stop
>>someone from using these domain names?
>
>Register 'em all? Yes. By doing so I'll most likely miss wrestling with US
>or international law (for example), even tho I'm probably going to be on
>the right side. It's what I'd do as the most practical and cheapest
>solution to the problem. It's miniature golf money. One stop in a small
>claims court costs more than registering 20 domain names for a year, if you
>figure the time and hassle. One may never use the domains, but they are
>registered and out of the hands of anyone that'll try to piggy back off of
>someone typing in that dictionary terms incorrectly.

Miniature golf money to Coca-cola - what about the one person web hosting
company?  Should it register all possible variants of its house mark - what
if there are five commercial gTLDs? seven?

Henson Associates (creator of the Muppets) has several hundred characters -
currently third parties own cookiemonster.com, bertandernie.com, kermit.com
and kermitchannel.com, among others.  Is registering every possible variant
in every commercial gTLD a good use of its money?  Is litigating all of
these cases a good use of its money?