Re: [MUSIC_MAN@prodigy.net: Trakemark.tmk]

At 11:06 AM 8/18/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Dietmar J. Stefitz wrote:

>> >Unfortunately, this will not work well. I invite you to discover how many
>> different "Delta" trademarks there are in the United States alone. (Delta
>> Airlines, Delta Faucets, Delta Dental (a private insurance plan) are three
>> I can think of without doing any digging at all). Who gets "delta.tmk"??
>> >
>> >phil reed
>> >libbey inc.
>> >reedpc@libbey.com
>>
>> OK, Why not
>> delta-airlines.tmk
>> delta-dental.tmk
>> delta-faucets.tmk
>>
>> Could be a possibility and everyone is happy!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dietmar Stefitz
>
>The discussion commences to take a positive turn.
>However, I suspect that the limitation lies in
>the .tmk TLD.  That is where I suggest more
>flexibility should appear. Or it's entirely
>possible that even that doesn't matter: there
>shall be such a proliferation that every site
>imaginable will have to be found using a search
>engine rather than through the naive assumption
>that every IBM will have its own ibm.com or
>whatever TLD.
>
>Bill Lovell

How about delta.airlines, delta.house, delta.med, delta.isp  but not
delta.tmk, delta.firm or delta.shop because that creates the same inability
ot have effective coexistence that the .com gTLD creates.  But what about
the problem of two companies in differing countries using the same mark for
related goods?  perhaps that's where ccTLDs comes in.  delta.airlines.uk
and delta.airlines.de, but a delta.airlines.int which would be pre-empt a
ccTLD (but would require a higher showing quivalent to establishing famous
mark status).