Re: Structuring IANA: A Few Questions to Be Answered

Steve and all,

steve wrote:

> [...]
>         Contrast this approach to the approach of IANA, summarized by the
> comments at the top of www.iana.org's transitional web page:
>
>                 "Dedicated to preserving the central coordinating functions
> of the
>                                     global
>                         Internet for the public good."
>
> Some fundamental questions to be asked by the to-be-named
> Board of Directors of IANA and others:
>
> 1.From what law has U.S. Govt given IANA the right to be 'dedicated to
> preserving the central coordinating...'?
>
> 2.Does "central coordinating functions" mean "government"?  If so, where is
> that stated?  What governing body of law is being used to bring order,
> which is what laws do?
>
> 3.Supporting the New IANA, what framework will be used to supporting the
> continued need for protections of rights and freedoms recognized in U.S.
> Constitution?
>
> 4.What does the "public good" mean?  Is it defined anywhere?  Who defined it?
>
> 5.Who defines "public"?  Is it a global public or is it a
> geography-dependent public?  How many people constitute the 'public'?  200?
> 250 Million?  6Bn?
>
> 6.Whose public does this refer to?  American? German? Swedish? Albanian?
> Who decides?  Is there a plan formulated for informing the public, however
> defined?  Has anyone formulated such a plan?  What are the mechanisms for
> assessing such plan(s).
>
> 7.Who participates in determining what is "good" for the public?  How is
> the input received?  Is there a mechanism for building 'consensus' upon the
> body of human knowledge that exists regarding what is "good" and what is
> "not good" for individuals? (stakeholders)
>
> 8. What if the "public good" clashes with one individual's "good".  (The
> classic conflict of 'individual' versus the 'state'.)  Who decides the
> outcome of that clash?  U.S. law?  Chinese law?  IANA law?
>
> 9.What will be the relationship between IANA and Internic?  NSI?  How will
> that change from the past?  With ARIN?  Will IANA control the governance of
> IP numbers?  How data assets be accounted for?  Who owns IANA's database?
> Who owns ARIN's numbers?
>
> 10.Is IANA, as a quasi-governing entity, allowed to own property?
> Intellectual property? Addresses? IP Numbers?
>
> 11. How does that differ from IANA's owning property in the past?
> Intellectual property?  Addresses?  Reservations (and/or allocations) of
> specific domain names?
>
> 12.If so, under what law and jurisdiction does IANA have these rights?
>
> 13. If IANA will function as a quasi-governing body, what happens if IANA
> asserts ownership of property which "for the public good" when it is owned
> by an individual or a corporation? (IANA is placed into position of
> competing with others.)
>
> 14. Does IANA have the right to "eminent domain" of property "for the
> public good"?
>
> 15. If so, from which document does that right flow?  Is there recourse to

  Really Steve, all of these questions are irrelevant or moot as the WP clearly
states
that tie IANA is to ADVISE in creating the new non-profit corporation.  Although
this does not appear from their own posted Bylaws seem to indicate, that is what
the WP mandates.

> Stephen J. Page
> MBA OD BSc
> U.S. Data Highway Corp.
> usdh@ccnet.com
> T: 925-454-8624  F: 925-484-0448
>
> (1)
> Magaziner, Lessig Spar Over Domain Name Plan
>                        (06/11/98; 2:46 p.m. ET)
>                        By Mo Krochmal, TechWeb
>
> NEW YORK -- Ira Magaziner, the Clinton administration's point
> person on technology, said Wednesday the next few months will tell if
> the U.S. policy of letting the Internet self-regulate will work.
>
> Magaziner, who shared a forum with technology pundit Esther Dyson
> and Harvard Law Professor Lawrence Lessig, said within six months
> the federal government will know if private initiatives on Internet
> domain names are working. "If not, then we will have to review it
> again," he said.
>
>                  [snip]
>                        But Lessig disagreed, saying the implications of
> creating a special
>                        non-profit agency seems like a substitute for
> government, but one that
>                        does not have to answer to an electorate.
>
>                        "This is bizarre for a democracy," said Lessig. "Why
> not just carve up
>                        the government into private non-profit organizations
> and be done with
>                        it all? We are creating the most significant
> jurisdiction since the
>                        Louisiana purchase, and we are building it outside
> the review of the
>                        Constitution."
>
>                        Magaziner bridled at the suggestion.
>
>                        "In Washington, you need to act," Magaziner said.
> "The contracts
>                        were up in September and we couldn't let the
> Internet dissolve. You
>                        have to do something."
>
> [remainder of article
> at:http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/domnam/TWB19980611S0009

 regards,

--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java/CORBA Development Eng.