By-Laws Proposal for Discussion

I have reviewed the 'Draft By-Laws for a New IANA', and make the
following comments:

Article 3, Secion 1 [Charitable purpose and distribution upon
dissolution]  states:

'...or shall be distributed to the Federal government, or a state
government, for such purposes, or for such other charitable and
public purposes...'

I suggest that 'an international treaty organization' be included as
possible distributees.

Article 4, Section 2 [Initial Board of Directors].  I favor Alternative B,
as I think that there is value in some continuity between the initial
board and the board as it will be constituted eventually.

Article 4, Section 3 [Number and qualification of directors after the
initial board] states:

'...no elected or appointed official of a national government or a
multinational entity established by treaty or other agreement between
national governments shall be a director...'.

I don't understand the rationale for this prohibition.  In particular,
some representation from some such groups might well be
desireable.  For example, China, as presently administered, would
probably be unlikely to have anyone able to serve as a director.
Also, some interest groups might will WANT to have a competent
official of an international treaty organization as a director
representing their interests.

The provision also seems to me to be problematic in that an
'appointed official of a national government' could be construed to
include a wide range of people (such as those receiving research
grants, e.g. Dr. Postel).

This section concludes with a solicitation for a definition of 'Region'
and suggestions on how to implement a restriction that not more
than half of the directors be from a single region.  As to the
definition, I am sure that a number of existing classifications of
region could be chosen, which would be preferable to making a new
definition.  I suggest checking with the World Trade Organization,
the International Telecommunications Union and the World
Intellectual Property Organization to see whether any of them have
definitions of 'region' which might be used.

Implementation of the proposal probably requires some form of
proportional voting.  For example, when electing directors, each
elector would have the number of votes as there are vacancies.  The
positions would be filled from the highest number of votes received
to the lowest, but as positions are filled, some candidates would
become ineligible (due to region), and would therefore be skipped
and the position filled from the candidate receiving the next highest
number of votes, etc.

Going back to the first problem in this section, that of a director
being from a national government or international treaty
organization, a criterion similar to that for regional representation
might be workable if the concern is to require that the directors not
just be government bureaucrats.  Something like 'no more than one
third of the directors shall be ...'.  In such case, the same
disqualification rules as proposed for regional representation might
apply.  But this opens a door to having positive representation from
all sorts of groups (private industry, individual users, etc., which
might better be avoided).

Finally with regard to this section, I suggest that there be some
provision for the board to definitively rule on ambiguities, etc..  For
example, an Indian citizen might hold a US green card and have
worked all his or her life in the USA; how would this candidate be
considered with respect to regional distribution?   For each category
which might limit service (regional representation, public
employment, etc.) every candidate should have to declare his or her
status, and all objections should be considered BEFORE the election
with the decision of the existing board being final.

Article 4, Section 18 [Compensation].  [Note, this issue occurs
elsewhere as well].  I would prefer to see directors being able to
collect a uniform per-meeting fee for service.  While I recognize
some of the problems with this, it nevertheless seems to me
preferable not to rely on the generosity of other employers (private
companies, grant-receiving institutions, etc.) to provide pro-bono
time.  If this provision stands, there will be an ideal director at some
point who will not be able (or be allowed) to serve.

Article 5, Secion 3(d) [Industry/User Supporting Organization].
Compared to the other interest groups represented, this one seems
to be ill defined.  Perhaps the forthcoming discussions concerning
the domain-name space will help to clarify things.  But as things are
a present, the potentially competing interests involved here (ISPs,
commercial users, individual users, etc.) might make it preferable to
allow the board to accept nominations from more than one user
group.

I hope these comments will advance the discussion.

Regards, Sam Carmalt

--
See you at INET'98, Geneva 21-24 July '98, http://www.isoc.org/inet98/
Sam Carmalt                     SW Consulting SA