Re: [ifwp] How Does This end?

Harold and all,

Harold Feld wrote:

> I am concerned by the loud silence from both NSI and IANA on the Boston
> Group's efforts (and, indeed, in response to any of the suggestions made
> regarding alterations of the bylaws).

  We are a bit concerned as well.  We also submitted some rather
detailedchanges/amendments that are very much in line with what the "Boston
Working Group"
came up with as well.  However they are only a couple of days old, so maybe more
time
is needed for review by the NTIA, IANA, and NSI.  However it is also still
concerning that time is short.

> Is there any sort of formal process by which either IANA or NSI believe
> this should end?  In the past, NSI has expressed a desire to have a final
> ratification by the Internet community.  Is this still true?

  Good questions.  We would hope that NSI is, but the situation has
changedrather drastically in the past few days.

> Alternatively, how are the final bylaws submitted to the Internet Task
> Force?  What role will Magaziner play in their final acceptance?  Is this a
> mere accept or reject?  Will suggestions be made?

 All good questions.  All unknown at this point.

> There are other voices that have been out there as well.  Industry Canada,
> for example, published a consultive paper on the White Paper and solicited
> comments from its citizens on what stance it should take in the ongoing
> debate.  Will this input be heard?  What weight will it be accorded?

  Let's hope that it is heard.

> Finally, I propose the following: if neither NSI nor IANA responds, cannot
> a group of stakeholders submit the Boston Group draft (or sme other
> version) as competing bylaws to those submitted by IANA/NSI.  While such a
> move may prove futile in the short run, it would at least provide some
> evidence that the Internet "consensus" remains, at best, divided.

  Well I think that this has been done.