Re: [ifwp] Privacy Issues

Mr. Steinberg and all:

Yesterday, in it's response to WIPO, the DNRC asserted that it should have
been consulted by WIPO as to the selection of experts by WIPO, in part
because it is "the leading domain name organization."  I asked for
documentation of that claim, specifically, how many members does it have?
Other people speculated that DNRC would not reveal that its' membership
number on privacy grounds.

DNRC, to my knowledge, has not yet responded to this list asserting any
privacy issues and I have not asked anyone to divulge information which he
or she deems to be confidential.  So I don't think your comments that "I
don't get privacy" or that I am slinging mud" are particularly accurate

As for whether membership numbers themselves (as opposed to membership
identities) are private, I do note that Mr. Todd from ITUA immediately
wrote in and gave his group's number.

I also note that if a group makes two particular claims - the first (and
this is taken from the DNRC web site) that the DNRC represents "the voices
of small businesses, entrepreneurs and individuals" and the second is that
it is the leading domain name organization - then they are trying to
enhance their own words with the implication that they are speaking for
others.

At least Prof. Mueller never claims that anyone else in academia agrees
with him. ;')

If they are going to claim that they represent some type of view with
broad-based support, I don't think it is particularly outrageous for me to
ask them how many members they have.

They call themselves a public interest group, you know.