Re: [ifwp] Re: The IANA ByLaws - Third Iteration

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Pete Farmer wrote:

> Based on my reading of their 3 interations, IANA has attempted to
> reflect not only public comment received on their Web site, but
> discussion floated on various mailing lists and at the key meetings on
> domain name issues.  You have not been silent in these fora, and
> therefore one could claim that you have, indeed, worked with IANA,
> whether you knew it or not.  :-)

If IANA's most recent draft is to be taken as evidence, they seem
to be having some difficulty reflecting the conclusions of the
various IFWP meetings.  In Reston, in Brussels, in Geneva, and in
Singapore there was general agreement that the new corporation
should have a membership, that the Board should be accountable to
that membership, that the Board's powers should be restricted by
the articles, and that the membership should select the Board.

How do the successive drafts reflect this?  Well, draft 2 dispensed
with the membership and with it any accountability.  Draft 3 has
made it simple for the Board to modify the articles and thereby
change the fundamental purposes of the organization.  In other words,
the expressed wishes of the Internet community and IANA's drafts have
been moving in very different directions.

> It doesn't look like you have posted any comments to IANA's Web site on
> their drafts, however.  Perhaps you might take it upon yourself to seize
> this opportunity.

Done.

--
Jim Dixon                                                 Managing Director
VBCnet GB Ltd                http://www.vbc.net        tel +44 117 929 1316