Re: [ifwp] Re: The IANA ByLaws - Third Iteration

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Dave Crocker wrote:

> At 10:37 PM 8/25/98 +0100, Jim Dixon wrote:
> >to be having some difficulty reflecting the conclusions of the
> >various IFWP meetings.  In Reston, in Brussels, in Geneva, and in
> >Singapore there was general agreement that the new corporation
> >should have a membership, that the Board should be accountable to
>
> Jim,
>
> there is no basis for making this, or any other, claim about IFWP
> consensus,

I attended all of those meetings and made a point of being involved
in every group concerned with the new corporation's membership.  I
don't think that you did.  I know what I heard.

The Brussels meeting in particular produced a set of conclusions
which were later clarified and to some degree elaborated by a
"Panel of Participant", of which I was a member.  The points I
list were among the consensus points reached by that group.

>           other than the personal opinions about individuals who attended.
>  There was absolutely nothing in the IFWP activities designed to assess any
> broader sense of the group(s).  It is entirely misleading to claim otherwise.

Many of the people attending these conferences were there as
representatives of groups having an interest in this matter.  I attended
on behalf of both EuroISPA and ISPA UK.  I do recall a few individuals
in Singapore who represented only themselves; I believe that you were
one of them.  But almost everyone there represented an organization of
some sort.

The same certainly applied to Brussels.  The percentage of individuals
representing themselves was certainly higher in Reston; I can't be sure
about Geneva.  But my impression was certainly that in all of these
meetings, and in Buenos Aires, most people attended on behalf of
organizations.

In many cases, organizations sent representatives to these meetings
at what they considered great cost.  If nothing else, it is less than
courteous to denigrate their contributions in this fashion.

--
Jim Dixon                                                 Managing Director
VBCnet GB Ltd                http://www.vbc.net        tel +44 117 929 1316