3rd Iteration, Bylaws

Dear Dr Postel et al,

I just read the 3rd iteration, and like it a lot as a sound basis for
the `new IANA'.

Thank you again for all your efforts.

My only wish, probably impractical, especially at this stage, is that
the Address Council not be allowed to be run just by the RIRs, since I
saw a good deal of what looked like smug complacency (though I know the
RIRs' intentions to be just as good as they state) in claiming to be
capable of representing the users of their services in their entrenched
geographical monopolies.  My experience of my local RIR (RIPE) has been
that, as one would expect of any organisation, it is not perfect, and
therefore non-RIR groups do need some direct representation in some form
at the Address Council level as soon as possible, and the Council and SO
should be compelled to make every reasonable effort to create and
maintain that direct representation.

I see this as becoming more important with IPv6 on its way, even if the
intent and rewording of that spec has been to reduce the ability of
organisations to monopolise critical parts of the new address space.

You may quote this email, in full, in any medium, if you wish.

Regards,

Damon Hart-Davis
Managing Director
ExNet Ltd (ISP, and consultants)