RE:

Hi Roberto,

At 02:24 AM 8/27/98 , Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>Jay,
>
>Do you *really* think that focussing on Gordon Cook's private war against
>Don Heath instead than focussing on the organization of the final meeting is
>going to help us getting some results achieved?

No, that's why I snipped most of Gordon's rant against Don.  But Gordon
has highlighted some very disturbing trends as expressed by Amadeu.

The title of my email (which you edited) was:  "snipers", "creamers"
and "marginal players."  It refers to Amadeu's description of the
organizations that he does not want to participate in a compromise
meeting.

Amadeu wanted only 10 people to negotiate.  As Gordon correctly points
out, that leaves room for 9 IANA/ISOC/IAB/POC/PAB/CORE/RIR reps, and
NSI.  Hardly a balanced, representative group!

>The problem of a final conference, as I see it, is very simple: is the
>Berkman Institute willing to put its reputation at risk in organizing a
>meeting that may end up in a failure? If yes, let's go. If not, let's check
>whether there are any actions we may take in order to eliminate (or at least
>minimize) the risk to a level that is acceptable to them.

Agreed.

>In both cases, this means do something beyond the useless polemics.

Agreed.

Until tomorrow . . .