announcement from the Berkman Center

The steering committee of the International Forum on the White Paper
has been asked by the Berkman Center to publish the following
message, sent earlier this week to the committee, to relevant public
lists.

IFWP steering committee members,

Tamar Frankel has conveyed your proposal for a series of wrapup
activities designed to help finalize the creation of the new "entity"
called for by the White Paper, in accordance with the White Paper's
principles.  One of these activities is a meeting to be hosted by the
Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard Law School.  We
accept.

As we understand it, the Berkman Center and the IFWP are to play
complementary roles: the Berkman Center will seek to provide a neutral
working venue where remaining differences among major stakeholders
(particularly those who have generated draft founding documents for
the new entity) can be identified and resolved, and IFWP will host a
completely open wrapup meeting at which the working meeting's results
will be presented, and as appropriate, ratified (or not) by the
community at large.

The Berkman Center meeting will be of the "lock the major parties in
the room" variety on the Harvard Law School campus Saturday and
Sunday, September 12-13, with reports of progress and issues
dispatched regularly over the Net.  As you know, the Berkman Center
has developed a web site which juxtaposes documents and ideas
generated by IANA, NSI, and the consensus workshops at the respective
IFWP meetings.  We see our meeting as an extension of that role: to
help the parties whose documents are placed there to come to a
synthesis that's better than the sum of its parts, and in all ways
reflective of the parties' universally stated desires to hew to the
White Paper's principles.

Our meeting, your meeting, and for that matter the entire effort to
create a viable "newco," depend on intense participation and work in a
spirit of compromise by those stakeholders sufficiently invested to be
able to effectively veto any newco proposal that does not answer their
concerns.
It goes without saying that this effort also requires a proposal that
will fly with the internet community at large.  With the White Paper
as the guide, and your ratification meeting as a bellwether, the
parties who have been doing the most drafting and negotiating to date
will be most strongly compelled to come to compromise in the public
interest.

We'll scramble to pull the necessary details together over the next
few days.  Please let me know how we can help as issues arise.

Sincerely,

Charles Nesson, Larry Lessig, and Jonathan Zittrain

--
Jim Dixon                                                 Managing Director
VBCnet GB Ltd                http://www.vbc.net        tel +44 117 929 1316