Re: [ifwp] Address space as a commons?

Milton and all,

mueller wrote:

> Jim, I still don't understand what is behind these vehement responses. Perhaps you can do a
> better job of explaining what it is you're afraid of. On the merits, you are simply, undeniably
> wrong when you say that address space is now, or has ever been, a "commons." A "
> commons" means
> that anyone can enter and utilize the resource as one likes; it means no rationing, no control.
> That isn't the case now, it hasn't ever been the case, and it most emphatically should not be
> the case in the future.

  We agree with Miltons conclusion here completely.  One of the serious problems
with what the status quo is now with respect ot IP addresses is how they are
delegated.  This is something that needs to change and change drastically.  The
current relevant RFC's 2050 and 1918 are not adequate to meet the current
demand and are skewed towards the large ISP's and Telcos.  This is by definition
a restraining of trade purposefully designed and will lead to legal situations if allowed
to continue.