Re: Teetering on the brink of failure

Milton, et al,

At 11:37 PM 9/26/98 -0400, mueller wrote:
>    * a significant number of IFWP Steering committee members
>have abandoned the process and have chosen to bargain behind

The IFWP "process" was stated as being to hold some meetings.  The meetings
were held.  There were no commitmentsor plans beyond those meetings, so
there was nothing to "abandon".

Since you believe otherwise, please document the IFWP statements to the
contrary.

>    * None of the three major parties in this process (IANA,
>NSI, and the remnants of the old ISOC/gTLD-MoU) show the slightest
commitment to
>an open process

In the history of the many processes that have fallen under the label of
"open" what has been taking place, here, is more open than typical, not
less.  No doubt it falls short of some ideal process, but it is important
to balance such ideals with pragmatics.

>       anymore. The most egregious example is the rump
>gTLD-MoU's attempt to pre-emptively organize a DNSO. Taking this step when
the

"Rump"?  Presumably you mean to imply that the activity is somehow
fractioned or rogue from the regular gTLD MoU community?  Please document
that claim.

Language like "pre-emptively organize" is both inflammatory and odd.  My
heavens.  I guess they should just waited for someone else to do the work?
Or would that somebody else then be guilty of preemptively organizing?
Just how is progress to be made, Milton?

Milton, rather than press so hard for outrage, perhaps you have some
constructive contributions to the content of the documents being developed?
 Each document represents considerable work and each document is offered
with explicit requests for specific feedback.  It's always easy to
criticize one thing or another, and much more difficult to make
constructive contributions.

d/

Dave Crocker                                         Tel: +1(408)246 8253
<mailto:dcrocker@brandenburg.com>                        675 Spruce Drive
                                                  Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA
Brandenburg Consulting
<http://www.brandenburg.com>                         Tel: +60(19)3299 445
                                              Post Office Box 296, U.P.M.
Fax: +1(408)246 8253                     Serdang, Selangor 43400 MALAYSIA