Strawman for Restructuring Internet Public Domain Space

Ira,

My apologies if you receive an extra copy of this message.
Also, I've been  out of the country, so my apologies for this late message.

Here is a simple straw-man which outlines how Internet domain and
address space should be administered conceptually (for the record):

(1) Internet Domain (name and address) holders should be made the
    governing trustees by a democratic process of voting for
    officers in a public trust.

(2) Domain holders should receive voting rights for their domain
    for matters of selecting board members to govern the organization.
    The exact nature and structure of the voting rights is unclear, but
    in an age of Internet based information, leading by example would
    be a good idea.  (electronic voting is a possibility)

(3) The same holds true for address space.

(4) The goal should be to create a DEMOCRATIC process in which the
    members (domain registrants) have control of the organization.
    At a minimum, they should select the leaders.  Better if they
    make major decisions, approved major changes, etc.

I think you get the idea, it is quite simple actually, perhaps
too simple.  There is a compelling reason for the
Clinton Administrator to work to create an democratic process
in the Internet paradigm.  Domains (name and addresses) are
the virtual property of the citizens of the Internet.

I cannot state enough how important it is not to be pressured
by artifical deadlines and commercial interests and to have
the vision and wisdom to take this opportunity further
the cause of global internetworking.

Best Regards and Good Luck!

Tim Bass

---

   Tim Bass
   Principal Consultant, Systems Engineering
   Bass & Associates
   Tel: (703) 222-4243
   Fax: (703) 222-7320
   EMail: bass@silkroad.com.antispam (remove antispam tag)