I withdraw all my support from IANA Draft 5.

To: domain-policy@open-rsc.org
Subject: I withdraw all my support from IANA Draft 5.
From: Einar Stefferud <stef@nma.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 01:01:03 -0700
Sender: stef@nma.com

I am stating my withdrawl of all my personal support from the latest
IANA draft 5 on the basis that it has stripped out the key bylaw
paragraphs that made its preceeding draft acceptable.  These are
specifically identified by Jon in his short announcement message.

This is no time to just accept what IANA dictates as a result of some
mysterious closed process, just because of time pressures.

To do so is to ditch all the good hard work done on finding consensus
over the last 3 months, and now sets the stage for all sorts of
efforts to work around the problems that this lastest IANA draft 5
will cause.

I cannot in good concience support any of what is being proposed, and
I will not acccept responsibility for any consequences that might
arise from its adoption as it stands.  Frankly, I expect it to
precipitte a geat deal of chaos, which will in the end lead to some
kind of new breakthrough in self organizing Internet processes.

The Internet DNS remains EDGE controlled, and this attempt to grasp
central control of it without consensus is to invite loss of control.

I have no information regarding what has caused NSI to dissapear at
this crucial last minute, and thus allow IANA to have free reign to
impose its will.  Or what is driving te USG to back away form the
commitments which I believed in when I spent a great amount of effort
to cooperate with all others in building consensus.

I expect that we will soon enough find out all we need to know about
how this all transpired.  So, I will not speculate further about it
here.  I have no information for now, but I can smell something rotten
somewhere in the woodpile.

Cheers...\Stef