NSI own's .com (according to their press release today)

Does .com belongs to Network Solutions?  I found a press release on
NSI's site today (9-30-98) which states that "The flexibility period
will now be extended until October 7, 1998 while at Network Solutions
and the Department of Commerce address the particulars of how other
registrars will eventually be allowed to register names in Network
Solutions' .com registry."

Wait a second, "Network Solutions' (note the possesive tense) .com
registry."?

http://netsol.com/news/pr_19980930.html

I don't remember hearing in the news that NSI bought/was given .com,
but stranger things have happened in Washington D.C.

Does anyone know when the US govt. sold .com to NSI?  I'd like to know
if the US govt. sold .com or if they just gave it to NSI as a gift for
taking care of .com for so long.  Anyone know the story here, I just
can't believe NSI owns .com.

Best wishes,
Rob