ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[2gtld-guide]

Some comments

  • To: "2gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx" <2gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Some comments
  • From: "Michele Neylon :: Blacknight" <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:45:57 +0100

Personally I welcome the advent of new gTLDs as many of the new TLDs will be
able to serve specific cultural and social interest groups that cannot be
served via any of the existing gTLDs or ccTLDs.

However I do have reservations with regard to pricing.

If there are no price caps on the new TLDs then it is only natural to assume
that existing registry operators will want equitable treatment. This can and
most likely will have a negative impact on both end users and registrars.

While it is obviously in ICANN's interest to not attract spurious applications
for new gTLDs setting a high monetary barrier is not in the best interests of
end users. Ultimately ICANN's role should be to aid end users and not be purely
self-serving ie. reducing its own workload.

Either the application and annual fees should be revised downward or the
applications should be categorised.

It is apparent to me at least that not all applications are equal in terms of
their financial, social and political motives and support.

A TLD that is aimed at enabling members of a specific cultural / linguistic
community to have their own namespace should be encouraged, yet the financial
obstacles that are being put in the way of applicants are disproportionately
large.

While I can appreciate that  trademark holders may  have legitimate concerns
about the introduction of new TLDs those concerns from small, specific
usergroups should not outweigh the legitimate requests of end users.

On more technical areas of implementation

Other comments have mentioned whois.

At present WHOIS is essentially broken. The rights of individuals to protect
their privacy needs to be addressed and any registry operator who proposes a
TLD that will differentiate between private and corporate registrations (as is
the case with .tel and a lot of ccTLDs) should be encouraged not hampered.

Regards

Michele (posting in semi-personal capacity)

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions