ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[3gtld-evaluation]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Comments on Module 2 -- Geo names and string contention leading to ... auctions (again)

• To: 3gtld-evaluation@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on Module 2 -- Geo names and string contention leading to ... auctions (again)
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:02:00 -0500

My prior comments on the absurdity of using auction as a mechanism of allocation within a single community which has put forward two, non-reconcilable applications, are available from prior public comments, or are etched indelibly on Kurt's forehead, if only due to the number of repetitions.

The oddity in DAGv3's attempt to accommodate the GAC on geo names is that "paris" (the string sought in an application brought by a city which hosted an ICANN meeting) and "pari" (the string sought by some random dog track with a really unfortunate name, like "flog-o-dog", rebranding while going on-line) may form a string contention set, and in 2.1.1.4.3, final para, happily trot off to auction heaven.

I suggest that Staff got it right when deciding that if two public authorities collide for a string, then block is appropriate. This follows on the .eh example we're all familiar with. Its not like we're going to be dying from a shortage of applications after all.

Where Staff gets it wrong is putting a public authority at the same level as a private applicant, and this makes geo squatting a reasonable economic activity, as public authorities have very limited non-planned liquidity with which to gamble on auctions.

As always, in an individual capacity, though I'm employed by CORE which has an interest in the subject matter.

Eric Brunner-Williams

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy