ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[3gtld-guide]

dot EUS | general comments to DAG3

  • To: 3gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: dot EUS | general comments to DAG3
  • From: "Iratxe Esnaola Arribillaga | dotEUS Association" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 10:39:23 +0100 (CET)

To whom it may concern,

Nowadays, dotCAT is the only cultural and linguistic TLD that exists on
the root. It is a strong and popular TLD working with restrictive policies
with the aim to foster the Catalan cultural and linguistic community.
Moreover, dotCAT has created a precedence among minority languages and,
thus, other linguistic and cultural communities have understood -and are
convinced- that a clTLD may be an effective tool for the promotion of
minority languages and cultures, especially with those with communities
distributed all over the world. In that sense, ICANN knows that new clTLDs
are going to be applied on the next round.

As we commented in Seoul, dotEUS is a non-problematic TLD, a
non-for-profit project, a volunteer-based movement and, thus, an actively
and deeply committed community, which is investing more than money in this
process [ efforts, time, resources...]. The dotEUS project was born with
the aim to support the Basque language and culture community on the
Internet and, in the same way, to make Internet's diversity stronger.

We love this project so we will continue standing up for our own clTLD,
dotEUS, but we would like to remark that our project's credibility is at
stake, even more without any time line.

We thank you all the efforts you are making with initiatives like
Expressions of Interest. We do believed that new formulations are needed
to keep alive potential non-problematic applicants.

Thanks for this opportunity.

Iratxe Esnaola Arribillaga
dotEUS Association
www.puntueus.org