ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[3gtld-guide]

.hamburg comments to DAG3

  • To: 3gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .hamburg comments to DAG3
  • From: ""Oliver J. Süme"" <sueme@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:57:07 +0100

The .hamburg top-level domain initiative founded in 2007 is an association
open to any Hamburg associated institution, organization and individual.
With .hamburg we are aiming to create a unique identity for all Hamburgers.
For the 3rd Draft Applicant Guidebook we have the following comments:

.hamburg will create Choice and Competition
The .hamburg TLD will create more choice for Hamburgers to register a
suitable domain name since the .de namespace is already overcrowded with
more than 13M domain names. The .hamburg domain names will also create a
competitive advantage over existing TLDs. If a Hamburg based carpet shop can
reach a better search engine position with a US$ 50.00 www.carpet.hamburg
than with a US$ 20.00 www.carpet-online.net then the initially more
expensive .hamburg domain name offer significant cost savings.

Hamburg has a clear Demand for its cityTLD
cityTLDs are always mixed up with other new gTLDs in the discussion on
economic parameters. First of all the studies the German Internet
Association eco e.V. has conducted show that e.g. 80% of businesses would be interested to register a .hamburg domain name and 43% of individuals prefer www.mayor.hamburg as their preferred domain name to find the Hamburg mayor. Secondly we do not see any economic consultant or ICANN or any other party except of the City of Hamburg in the position to decide if a city Hamburg has a demand for its own identity. It should just simply be mentioned in the upcoming economic studies that there is a significant demand of cities for their own TLD, based on the initiatives which a are already announced their
interest for a TLD.

Hamburg needs a Timeline!
*************************
We and with us the government of the City of Hamburg and other major
institutions in Hamburg are seriously concerned about ICANN's inability to proceed with the introduction of new gTLDs. ICANN has consistently missed
the announced deadlines in the process, especially during the last two
years. This in not acceptable to us and many others. Therefore we urge ICANN
to proceed with the introduction of new gTLDs.

Oliver Süme
Chair of Initiative dotHamburg e.V.

Initiative dotHamburg e.V.
Gertigstrasse 28