ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[3gtld-guide]

Existing gTLD Pricing

  • To: 3gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Existing gTLD Pricing
  • From: "Ed Muller" <Ed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 19:57:01 -0500 (EST)

After several review periods and multiple comments regarding the cost
structure of new gTLD's, we have yet to see any information on how these
changes will affect the pricing of existing TLDs.

With additional gTLDs coming to market, anyone with two registrars to rub
together will find their way to earning more in the new namespace.
However, the open language of the proposal as written seems to leave a
large gap regarding how pricing for a new gTLD will affect older, already
established TLDs due to the language of previous contracts with companies
like Verisign.

This point needs to be stated definitely, with no misinterpretations as to
how existing namespaces like .com, .net and .org will be affected. The
everyday blogger, small business owner and new internet ventures are all
dependent on a simple price model that has been clearly defined for over
15 years.

Will this proposal in no way affect any pricing structure for gTLDs? Can
existing contract holders now claim that unrestricted gTLD pricing permits
them to raise old TLD prices without oversight?

At this point in time we see a realm of possibilities but cannot predict
the outcome. Let's clarify this item before going forward so we can
address the real issues with new gTLDs and not remain stuck on concerns
about existing gTLDs.

Ed Muller
President, Namemon
http://www.namemon.com