ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[3gtld-guide]

COMMENTS ON DAG3

  • To: 3gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: COMMENTS ON DAG3
  • From: "俞阳" <leo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 22:38:11 +0800

To whom it may concern,

Module 2
2.2.1 We suggest ICANN allow those applicants who move forward to the extended
evaluation process to improve their applications. It is really important to
non-English speaking communities. Due to different cultures, we shouldn’t
expect a perfect English application from IDN community. There may exist
misunderstandings need to be directed by ICANN, there are applications in good
faith need to be perfected rather than rejected.

2.3.2 and 3.3.4 Shall we re-iterate that for IDN applications, there must be at
least one (two seem to be perfect) panelists who come from the local community
on each of the panels.  It will be much efficient and may cost even less.

Module 3
3.4.2 To make the new gTLD a long-term project, we still consider the existing
TLD operators should not be allowed to make a legal rights objection and to
interpret similarity across IDN scripts by means of meaning similarity. If the
final DAG makes no change on this, it may easily lead to the blocks of the
majorities of IDN applications and embarrass ICANN for sure. Base on the
leading position of ASCII TLDs and their “existing priority”, there will not be
any competition in IDN gTLD, the war is end before starting. Therefore, we
sincerely suggest ICANN redefine the scope of “string confusion” and make the
new gTLD application a true global event.

Module 5
We consider the final Registry Agreement must be posted ahead of the opening of
the new gTLD application period.
5.2.1 The absolute requirement for DNSSEC will challenge ICANN’s intent of
geographical diversity, especially in its IDN project.
We all know the failure story of “.xxx”. Will it happen again in this round? No
one knows. Who can guarantee the winning gTLD will be put into the root? Since
the JPA was replaced by the AOC in late September, can ICANN put the promise
into the DAG?

Besides, we suggest ICANN open IDN gTLD fast track so as to get the number of
the potential gTLD, reasonable data for root scaling study and enable the
communities who are mature in technology, policy and marketing to apply IDN
gTLD as fast as possible.
Therefore, we strongly support the proposed “Expressions of Interest”. To
ensure the participation in the EOI accurately represents the level of
interest, there must be a deposit, which should be refunded if ICANN fails to
start new gTLD application in the second half of 2010. If ICANN does, the
deposit should be part of the total application fee of US $ 185,000.
The information collected from the EOI participants should be the basic
information of applicants and applied-for strings, as found in Question 1-9,
13-14 and 18, Evaluation Questions and Criteria, Attachment to Module 2 of DAG.
To protect the interest of the applicants, ICANN need not to make all the
information public. But ICANN should inform the public the number of the
received application, number of IDN gTLD among the total application and the
number of applications in one single language.
All those statistic and applied-for string information should be revealed to
GAC so that GAC can coordinate with relevant countries and territories.
To those applications that pass the Initial Evaluation but are involved in
disputes, or applications that are significantly influenced by the changes of
DAG,the application may be suspended or queues in line. But those applications
without dispute or applications with disputes that can be solved by mediation
should start the application process without any delay.
The benefits of EOI outweigh risks. ICANN need to charge proper amount of
deposit and to keep commercial details confidential.
Chinese netizens long not only for IDN ccTLD but also some specific category
domain, some key industries in particular. Therefore, some IDN gTLDs do need to
be moved forward by means of fast track.
As EOI aims to provide some data and basis for various kinds of studies, we
suggest the activities start before the ICANN Nairobi meetings.
Sincerely,

Yang Yu
China Organizational Name Administration Center (CONAC)