ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[3gtld-intro]

can corporations be defined as a community?

  • To: <3gtld-intro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: can corporations be defined as a community?
  • From: "Jannik Skou" <js@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:21:43 +0100

To ICANN:

On behalf of our corporate clients we kindly ask ICANN to clarify in the
DAG, if applications for "dotBRAND" gTLDs will be accepted as community
based applications.

The current definition to us is somewhat vague in these regards:

(DAG 3: page 26, Section 1-17:)

"1.2.3.1 Definitions
For purposes of this Applicant Guidebook, a communitybased
gTLD is a gTLD that is operated for the benefit of a
clearly delineated community. Designation or nondesignation
of an application as community-based is
entirely at the discretion of the applicant. Any applicant
may designate its application as community-based;
however, each applicant making this designation is asked
to substantiate its status as representative of the
community it names in the application."

Say for instance, if a community is defined as the

Holding company,
- its subsidiaries (X % ownershop)
- its agents
- its dealers,
- (maybe even its customers?)

and if the policy were restricting registrations of this ".brand" to these
defined members of the community, would ICANN (or the evaluation panelists)
approve such an application?

We Obviously realize you can always go for a standard application and
restrict registration requirements, however, this clarity is important in
the case that multiple corporations apply for the same string, as... ( From
DAG3 Page 107 section 4-8:)

" It should be noted that a qualified community application
eliminates all directly contending standard applications,
regardless of how well qualified the latter may be."

So clarity on requirements for community definitions would be much
appreciated.

Thanks

Best regards | Mit freundlichem Gruss,

Jannik Skou