ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[4gtld-guide]

Minds + Machines comments on Vertical Integration

  • To: 4gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Minds + Machines comments on Vertical Integration
  • From: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:34:41 -0700

MINDS + MACHINES COMMENTS ON VERTICAL INTEGRATION

I am a member of the Vertical Integration Working Group, which has been
laboring for months to find a common position.  None is to be found: the only
agreement of substance is that everyone disagrees.  It is therefore likely that
the ICANN Board will have to cut the Gordian knot, and these comments are there
for them to consider.   These comments are adapted from a similar note sent to
the Vertical Integration Working Group list on June 20.  Nothing has changed
since then.

In our view, cross-ownership and vertical integration restrictions are
artifacts of 1999 conditions, and should be abolished in their entirety short
of an actual showing of market dominance by a specific players.   Any
restriction is very difficult for small and developing-world registries which
don't have the time or money for the regulatory burden or indeed for the
lawyers to "fine-tune" their corporate structure to get around whatever rules
may be cumbersome.  This last point is true in any case except when
restrictions are completely abolished. None of the proposals, with the
exception of those that call for the elimination of vertical integration and
cross-ownership controls, deal with the very real problem of small registries
who cannot find a registrar to carry their TLDs.

We strongly oppose the Afilias/PIR proposal (a.k.a RACK), which we feel is very
economical in promoting principles that either advance the Internet, help
nascent registries, or reduce harms to consumers, yet quite thorough in
advancing the interests of the proposers.  We further believe that the CAM
model, which envisions an expensive and time-consuming anti-competition review
without obtaining any indications that the review authorities are even
interested, is fraught with hopefulness and liable to serious unintended
consequences, up to and including wholesale governmental intervention in ICANN
accreditation processes .  Furthermore, we will not support any proposal that
includes an arbitrary percentage threshold of either ownership or control (such
as the JN2 proposal) just because it is less bad in other ways, or because the
proposers seem less motivated by self-interest.

As we see it, elimination of artificial limitations of ownership and/or control
is the only principled way forward.  We are furthermore very concerned about
the restriction of competition by a working group where most of the parties
have a very real economic interest.  While this may or may not be illegal, the
spectacle of registries and registrars deciding together to shape the
competitive landscape is nonetheless, in our view, harmful to the Internet, to
ICANN, and to the participants in the group.

Competition authorities in Europe and U.S. have been very quick to examine what
they consider to be anti-competitive behavior on the Internet, and they are the
proper mechanism to examine and control this problem.  We note that these
authorities tend to set the bar rather high, and this group should take note of
their standards.  We reject the argument that various anti-competitive actions
must be taken in order to reduce consumer harms and gaming, because these harms
have yet to be been seen in the new gTLD regime and in our view cannot be
convincingly inferred from the current state of affairs.  Specific actions to
prevent specific harms should be undertaken once these problems reveal
themselves. We note that ICANN has been much quicker to address such issues in
the recent past.

Therefore we support what is known as the Free Trade model. If instead we are
asked to choose between the various other proposals, we prefer that outlined in
DAG4.  This position at least has the value of not being self-serving, and,
because proposed by ICANN, avoids the accusation of this group being
anti-competitive, which is awkward not least because there is ample evidence of
it being true.  We readily acknowledge that the DAG4 proposal is helpful to
Minds + Machines, but no proposal on the table is particularly harmful to us.
We believe that this group has an obligation to help new gTLDs succeed and to
act in the longer-term interests of the Internet.  Getting rid of competitive
restrictions that hail from another era will do both, while at the same time
relieving us of the imputation of trying to manipulate the economic landscape
of new gTLDs.

Antony Van Couvering