ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[4gtld-guide]

.GMBH comments on Vertical Integration

  • To: 4gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: .GMBH comments on Vertical Integration
  • From: Andreas Schreiner <as@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 17:21:54 +0200

TLDDOT GmbH appreciates the opportunity to comment on the 4th version of the
Draft Applicant Guidebook.

We are concerned about the newly introduced regulations in Article 1.2.1 of
Module 1, in which ICANN accredited registrars are basically excluded from
providing registry services. This restriction should be either reconsidered or
entirely removed.

We propose a balanced and realistic view, based on years of experience in the
ccTLDs space that abundantly shows that models with cross ownership or vertical
integration between registries and registrars do not cause consumer harm by
themselves and therefore should not be automatically prohibited in the new gTLD
process.

ICANN-accredited registrars have, in many cases, become experts in handling the
administrative and technical requirements of building and running registry
systems. Many have also gained invaluable experience from working with ccTLDs.
We belive this will be a great benefit for the community in building up new
gTLDs.

We believe that strict limitation of such models will end up crippling or worse
discourage many potential new gTLD applications, directly against ICANNs goal
of stimulating innovation and growth for new gTLDs.

Regards
Andreas Schreiner (CEO)

TLDDOT GmbH (.GmbH Top-Level-Domain)
Akazienstraße 2
10823 Berlin
Tel: +49 30 49782354
Fax: +49 30 49782356
as@xxxxxxxxxx
www.dotgmbh.de

Registergericht: Handelsregister am Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg, HRA
124498 B; Geschäftsführer: Dirk Krischenowski und Andreas Schreiner;
Steuernummer 30/035/03469

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Andreas Schreiner
Geschäftsführer

T: +49.89.55061-550

InterNetWire Communications GmbH
Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 20
80807 München, Germany

T: +49.89.55061-0
F: +49.89.55061-199

AG München, HRB 125770
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Schreiner (CEO)

www.internetwire.de