ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[5gtld-guide]

Kudos to DOC/NTIA/DOJ and GAC for listening to our concerns

  • To: 5gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Kudos to DOC/NTIA/DOJ and GAC for listening to our concerns
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:49:01 -0800 (PST)

As this comment period comes to a conclusion, we expect that ICANN will once
again ignore the thoughtful comments which appear in this archive. Several
months from now, they'll appear in highly filtered "summaries" prepared by
ICANN
staff, and will then be subject to one-sided analysis from the perspective of
maximizing the benefits to ICANN insiders.

However, I would like to thank the DOC/NTIA/DOJ and GAC for taking the time to
have reviewed the many concerns of stakeholders in an uncensored and unfiltered
manner, rather than through ICANN's "rose-coloured glasses." Through their
efforts, the DOC/NTIA/DOJ and GAC have made it clear that no plan is acceptable
unless it serves the public interest, in an objective, rigorous and scientific
manner. ICANN's work to date has not come close to this standard.

We would like to suggest that the DOC/NTIA/DOJ open up formal public comments
via the Federal Register Notices, and allow for direct submissions by affected
stakeholders on this matter, and regarding ICANN governance in general. Public
televised hearings in Washington might also be helpful, to understand what
alternatives might be appropriate, including termination of the IANA contract
(and performing the functions in-house, rather than outsourcing the task to
others). Former ICANN CEO Paul Twomey did not fare well when confronted with
the
tough questions by politicians in Washington. It is time for ICANN CEO Rod
Beckstrom to face those same tough questions.

We, like others, had submitted many ideas that ICANN completely ignored,
because
ICANN directly benefits from abusive registrations (the more domain names that
are registered, the more fees ICANN and its insiders can collect; as evidence,
the $60 million+ budget of ICANN, compared to under $5 million just a few years
ago, and the enormous above-market salaries paid to staff, far exceeding those
in the non-profit sector).

For example, a Verified WHOIS process (whereby a PIN code is sent to a physical
address of the registrant, and used to active a domain name) would reduce
malicious activity significantly on the internet (reduced cybersquatting,
reduced phishing, reduced crime, etc.), and would do so at minimal cost ($1 or
$2 per verification, and since many registrants own multiple domain names, the
cost per domain name is even less). This proactive measure reduces the need for
many *reactive* Rights-Protection Mechanisms (UDRP, URS, rapid takedown, etc.),
because the easiest wars to win are those that you don't have to fight in the
first place. Legitimate domain name registrants like ourselves empathize with
the concerns of trademark holders, and believe that implementing verified WHOIS
in existing TLDs (com/net/org) should be a precondition to any new TLD
expansion.

We suggested that domain fees be split into two components, a registration fee
and a "resolution" fee. If a domain name has no nameservers (i.e. it does not
resolve), clearly it was bought for defensive purposes, and that person should
only be charged the registration component, and not the resolution component.
The total cost for that domain name would be a lot less (reducing the carrying
costs for owners of large portfolios of defensively-registered domain names)
These defensively registered domain names are a source of pure cost to the
public, but they are a pure profit center to registry operators and to ICANN.
By
splitting the domain fees as we suggested, the public interest is served, and
registry operators would see reduced returns on those defensively registered
domains. Often, 90% or more of the domain portfolios of large brand owners are
bought for defensive reasons (to avoid even higher costs of UDRPs, court cases,
phishing, etc.).

As the 2008 letter from the DOC/NTIA/DOJ intimated, tender processes for
operation of TLDs would maximize the benefits to consumers, and promote
competition. Under such competition, we would expect .com/net/org fees at the
wholesale level to be on the order of $2 to $3 per year, much less than the
fees
charged by the current registry operators. The public would save hundreds of
millions of dollars per year, money that is very tight in this weak global
economy. On a net present value basis, we're talking about mutliple billions of
dollars in savings. ICANN has *never* studied this question, and has evaded
answering the tough questions when directly challenged on these matters.

I know your time is valuable, so we won't restate all our past ideas in this
submission. We made numerous other comments in this and prior public comment
periods which presented other ideas which I'm sure many of you have read, and
would be happy to submit more detailed comments to the DOJ/NTIA/DOC and GAC if
you decide to hold independent public comment periods of their own.

I'll leave you with one final thought. ICANN has never stated under what
conditions it would abandon the new TLDs program. They have misread the
Affirmation of Commitments to presume that new TLDs are required, when that is
certainly not the case (introducing tender processes for existing TLDs would
bring in far higher benefits to the public and consumers). Opponents of the new
TLDs program have made an overwhelming case for termination of the program, yet
ICANN continues to try to "wear down" the opposition through a war of
attrition.
We would like the DOC/NTIA/DOJ and GAC to compel ICANN to write down objective,
scientific and rigorous criteria under which they would abandon the project.
This would crystallize all outstanding issues, and allow the public to move on,
once we've been able to demonstrate to the DOC/NTIA/DOC and GAC that we've met
the standards for termination. It is no longer acceptable for ICANN to waste
millions of our dollars to push the agenda of a small group of insiders. It is
no longer acceptable for ICANN to "wave its hands" and pretend that the
thresholds have been met for the overarching issues. We need objective
standards. Good policymaking requires nothing less.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
President
Leap of Faith Financial Services Inc.