ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[5gtld-guide]

Red-fag mechanism for an Early Window Test (Step by Step proposal)

  • To: 5gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Red-fag mechanism for an Early Window Test (Step by Step proposal)
  • From: Amadeu Abril i Abril <amadeu.abril@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 23:48:34 +0100

space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">In addition to the comments we
submitted prior to the Cartagena Meeting, we would like now adding for your
consideration an annex to the Step by Step proposal made long time
here:&nbsp;<a href="http://stepbystep.tel/";>http://stepbystep.tel/</a>) is a
proposal calling for a practical approach allowing for an <i>Early Window
</i>&nbsp;test. It is a fact that we all know and agree that most fo the
disucssions holding ack a final resolution on the Applicant Guidebook (and the
process of introduction of new gTLDs) relate in fact with certain type of
applications, and certain type of gTLDs. Many possible gTLD aplicatns, for
example linguistic and cultural TLDs, city TLDs, regional TLDs (and many other)
fall well below the radar of any of the concerns addressed in the famous
Overarching Issues. They are, for the most part, the innocent victims of the
entrenched discussions of, for instance, trademark interests and domain-name
speculators. The proposal sketches a wayforward, allowing also to run a test on
proposal (linguistic anc cultural TLDs; city TLDs...) are just that, examples
of many well-known applications that nobody finds objectionable on any ground.
We understand the difficulty (and unfairness) of devising a system based on
pre-defined categories. For one thing, a descritptive category such as "city
TLDs" does not mean that all and every possible city TLD application will hsare
goals, procedures, safeguards and polcies that are even close. This is why
those terms were used as explanation and justification, but not as basis of
that proposal, outlining a possible mechanism allowing that early Window test.
It is submitted by CORE, beacuse even if it has been discussed with the parties
supporting Step by Step (and well beyond) there was no material time to collect
versions of both the Step by Step proposal and the new Annex (Red Flag
Internet Council of