ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[6gtld-guide]

dotKöln comments on the New gTLD April 2011 Discussion Draft

  • To: <6gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: dotKöln comments on the New gTLD April 2011 Discussion Draft
  • From: "Thomas Lenz" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 09:11:22 +0200

Dear Sirs,

at dotKöln, we are very pleased to see the progress that the Applicant
Guidebook and the whole process have made and look forward to the release of
the Final Applicant Guidebook in June 2011!

The one issue that we want to comment on is the mandatory reservation of 2
character strings in new gTLDs. That is not understandable and not backed by
a proper community discussion. In Germany, no confusion has been reported so
far after the introduction of two character labels at the second level.

There are several examples like fr.de or it.de that have not caused any
reported confusion or irritation.

In addition, there is reason to assume that the proposed reservation of 2
character labels will create legal challenges for many new gTLDs. In 2010
for instance, German competition and trademark legislation forced the
operator of .de, DENIC, to release all “two-character labels”.

We therefore urge ICANN to reconsider this issue and remove the mandatory
reservation of “Two-Character Labels” from the guidebook and all related
documents.

Thank you very much for the opportunity to comment and the tremendous
progress of the past months.

Thomas Lenz

Geschäftsführer / Managing  Director

dotKöln Top-Level-Domain GmbH

c/o a&o buero

Richmodstrasse 31

50667 Köln

Fon: +49-160-979 24 207

email:  <mailto:thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx> thomas@xxxxxxxxxxx

 <http://www.dotkoeln.de/> www.dotkoeln.de < <http://www.dotkoeln.de/>
http://www.dotkoeln.de/>

dotKöln Top-Level-Domain GmbH | Richmodstrasse 31 | 50667 Köln | Amtsgericht
Köln: HRB 67288 | Geschäftsführer: Thomas Lenz

Unterstützt durch / supported by (in alphabetischer Reihenfolge / in
alphabetical order):

a_o_bueroandoerfer2auratorcommplandominicgrevenhotel_am_augustinerplatzKölnT
ourismus_Logo_JEWEL+Schriftzuglogo_ksk-koelnmidasmshoberberg_onlineoxalissch
mitzudkvarma

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image