ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-final-2008]

the ALAC is not working

  • To: alac-final-2008@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: the ALAC is not working
  • From: "Alan Levin" <alanlevin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:37:47 +0200

Hi,

I am responding as the representative of an accredited ALS, I read the
report and noticed the introduction states: The Internet Corporation for
Assigned Names and Number (ICANN) Bylaws define the  purpose of the At-Large
Advisory Committee (ALAC) as being:  'To consider and provide advice on the
activities of ICANN, insofar as they relate to the interests of individual
Internet users.'

IMHO the representatives of our RALO do not know or understand this basic
premise. I am not aware of any relevant discussions on this topic. I do not
believe that our ALAC respresentatives consult with us on this nor do they
represent the views of our members, the Internet Users in our country.

The recommendations of the report alude to tactics that may help. IMHO the
ALAC was shafted in the previous ICANN restructuring/reform process. It's
understandable because the focus was not the ALAC.  The idea of the RALOs
have failed. Give them a few more years but if things don't improve, PLEASE
http://naisproject.org

Sincerely,

Alan