ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-final-2008]

ALAC Independent Review: First set of comments

  • To: alac-final-2008@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ALAC Independent Review: First set of comments
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:53:41 -0700 (PDT)

There are some independent reviews (such as the LSE Review of the GNSO)that are
known for their scholarship, thoroughness, objectivity and substantive
recommendations -- the independent review of the ALAC as presented by Westlake
Consulting does not fall into this category.

Comments such as, "we note that an increasing amount of the ALAC’s policy work
is being conducted through formal Working Groups", leave no doubt that Westlake
Consulting has not properly engaged in the research for which it was paid and
has instead offered up nothing more than a shoddy and cursory report.  Anyone
at all who bothers to investigate the current state of ALAC working groups
could only conclude that they are a totally nonproductive wasteland devoid of
substantive commentary or meaningful participation.  ALAC working groups are as
close to the antithesis of the working group concept as one could possibly
imagine (with no one chairing these bodies, with no terms of reference, with no
set schedule, with no active participation, with no policy development
underway, and with no recommendations reached or tendered).

Sadly, this report fails to offer up an honest assessment of the deplorable
state of the ALAC.  The reviewers tend to speak in euphemisms, such as "if the
ALAC fails to engage in the decision-making process", rather than stating the
glaringly obvious:  many members of the ALAC are completely unwilling to
actively engage in productive on-line discussions but are certainly eager to
travel to ICANN sessions as long as it's on ICANN's dime.

Reading the report, one quickly comes to conclude that while Westlake can
indeed cite facts such as the ALAC Internal Rules for Procedure regarding
participation, Westlake couldn't actually be bothered to investigate whether
ALAC members were in fact abiding by the participatory rules that they
themselves had promulgated.  The recent Staff report "Performance overview ALAC
and Liaisons final.pdf" makes it quite clear that the ALAC chair will soon have
to call for the resignations of a large number of ALAC members owing to their
failure to comply with even minimum participatory obligations.

Adding to the problem, even when Westlake arrives at a correct observation,
such as, "A significant proportion of certified ALSs appear to be inactive",
Westlake still fails to document the absolutely horrid scope of the problem --
more than two-thirds of all ALSs have never once posted a single comment to the
At-Large discuss list.  Neither does Westlake point out that procedures to
decertify these non-contributing At-Large Structures (as cited in ICANN's
bylaws) have never once been invoked.

Instead of recognizing that much of this dead wood arrived at ICANN's doorstep
through ICANN's WSIS-related recruiting process (that brought in those who
would rather debate lofty "governance issues" than actually get their hands
dirty by tackling operational policy matters), Westlake takes the position that
the lack of participation is attributable to "little incentive for active
involvement".  It would have been more forthright to state that just as you
don't recruit lawyers to do the work of engineers, you shouldn't have been
exclusively recruiting Civil Society types when instead you really needed to
recruit those that regularly interact on domain name and consumer forums (those
that are the true At-Large that have a very real interest in the management of
the DNS).

The ALAC as currently composed is not a unit that represents the user
community.  If it did, one would have expected to see the entirety of the ALAC
passionately involved in attending to the revisions to the Registrar
Accreditation Agreement so as to better protect the registrant community --
real users that the ALAC is chartered to serve -- instead, ALAC participation
in the process was almost non-existent.

Rather than stating, "The ALAC also lays itself open to criticism from the
At-Large community if it is perceived not to have ensured that the interests of
individual Internet users have been adequately represented", Westlake should
have clearly stated that the record undeniably shows that the ALAC has not
lived up to its obligations; we don't need an independant reviewer
pussy-footing around with bland statements while we are confronted with a gross
failure of monumental proportions.

Further, Westlake fails to note that many non-participatory groups were quite
possibly brought into the fold through clearly bogus inducements -- see the
statement, for example, on the AFRALO website that fraudulently indicates that
there are "Opportunities for grant funding to support some of your group's
activities (ALAC is applying for grant funding)".

The solution to such non-participation is not shenanigans such as non-existent
grants, additional "outreach tools", or recruiting even more ALSs that will
never participate, instead a decidely more pragmatic approach is called for.

If you look, for example, at the EURALO discussion list and conclude that no
one there has been discussing any ICANN policy matters since day one, and, in
fact, almost no discussion happens on any topic whatsoever, then the solution
is self-evident:  dissolve the EURALO group and the list and throw the bums out
as the "structure" has no continuing purpose.  We don't need to encourage and
subsidize these non-contributing laggards just for the sake of political
correctness.

As far as I'm concerned, ALAC has forfeited the right to wear the mantle of the
At-Large, and as a body the ALAC no longer has a continuing purpose.  The ALAC
has proven that it is generally incapable of dealing with at-large issues and
is so inefficient that it will only submit a Statement on a topic long after
the deadline for public comment has passed.  As an organization, the ALAC has
become the posterboy for the word "Useless".

How does Westlake deal with the issue of ALAC inefficiency?  Westlake has
proposed a more streamlined ALAC [less members] that "might encourage full
attendance for the majority of meetings".  As I see it, a few less members is
still too many.  If a reasonably well performing institution such as the former
Protocol Supporting Organization could be structurally eliminated by ICANN,
then how could anyone claim that there exists a continuing purpose for this
non-performing and totally dysfunctional structure?  A few cosmetic changes
won't change the fact that the ALAC holds no promise of ever becoming a
value-added proposition.

In fact, the very last thing that we would want to do is to set the ALAC on a
path of further navel-gazing as Westlake has suggested.  The notion that the
ALAC should spend its time on the development of an annual Statement of Intent,
Strategic Plan and Operating Plan is laughable.  If they can't get a simple
working group to function properly, or for that matter, to even use discussion
lists to actually discuss ICANN policies, how then can we expect them to tackle
much more grandiose matters?  Unless, of course, the objective is to keep them
out of the policy arena and busy in their own little playpen where they can
safely be ignored...

ICANN spends a lot of money on the ALAC.  What kind of a return are we getting
from this investment?  A review of the ALAC Paris Statement demonstrates that
the only thing that they have recently accomplished is attendance at numerous
meetings.  As a group they cannot point to any current policy work on auctions,
on the RAA, on new gTLDs, on WHOIS, on registry failure, on registrar
transition, and the list goes on and on.

What matters are they investigating?  What findings have they obtained?  What
recommendations have emerged that are based on those investigations and
findings?  The answer to all the above is "none".  Yes, an Advisory Committee
to the Board is supposed to be doing all these things... yet the ALAC does not
feel compelled to honor its obligations under the bylaws.  They can't be
bothered to do their job as it might involve some actual work.

Westlake has noted that they were "somewhat surprised at the limited number of
submission in a language other than English".  I would note that I am not
surprised.  Even during the much ballyhooed Summit process a questionnaire was
developed by Staff that had to be submitted three times to the ALSs before it
received a single comment.  This ALAC/RALO/ALS structural body might as well be
in the morgue.  It's a rare day when one can find a pulse.

This is an organization that holds its Monthly Meetings (after waiting 20
minutes just to achieve a quorum), that doesn't ever manage to discuss actual
policy matters during these meetings, that promises to itself to take up the
policy topics through on-list dialogue, and who then consistently manages to
never discuss the policy issues online thereafter.  This is an organization
just going through the motions, just playing the game, just waiting for the
next check from ICANN's travel department.

Westlake has made the argument that "Our observation is that email lists are an
ineffective mechanism for communication for stakeholders who are peripherally,
rather than deeply involved."  Accordingly, Westlake has recommended that "the
ALAC should replace email lists with wikis for policy discussions".  The
problem, of course, is not email lists... rather it is Westlake's failure to
grasp the notion that ICANN has stupidly built a house of cards based on
participation by those with only peripheral interest.

Would anyone in their right mind populate a Security and Stability Committee
almost exclusively with members that only had a peripheral interest?  Of course
not... yet this is precisely what has been done with the ALAC.

When we look at the SSAC we see a strong management with a strong supporting
cast.  This is not by accident.  If a committee member fails to step up to the
plate and perform as expected, that committee member is removed and replaced
with another candidate (whose membership is subsequently ratified by the ICANN
Board).  This process works well for the SSAC that in the last eight months has
released eleven truly substantive documents.  Contrast that performance to the
ALAC's almost total lack of performance.

In the final analysis, it's all about performance, about bringing value to the
ICANN process (especially if ICANN is footing the bill) and truth-be-told, the
ALAC performance has been worse than lacklustre; it has been downright pathetic.

So the real question is this:  Can the ALAC be salvaged?

Do we have any reason to believe that the ALAC will undergo a radical change
that will lead to substantially enhanced performance?  I have seen no
indication of such.  Yes, there are one or two members that perform like
champions, that participate in GNSO or ccTLD Working Groups, that follow all
the discussions, that make a serious attempt to represent the user interest.
Anomalies are to be expected, but without a management with the gumption to
cast out the chaff no progress can truly be made and we will continue to be
stuck with a Committee mostly populated by those that rarely have anything to
say on any topic, that have little more than a peripheral interest in the
management of the DNS as it pertains to the user community, and that won't
contribute to any policy dialogue.

As I see it, the cancer has already spread too deep and this patient is
terminal.