ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-forum]

Re: ICANN AT-LARGE MONTHLY ANNOUNCEMENT

  • To: forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: ICANN AT-LARGE MONTHLY ANNOUNCEMENT
  • From: Ed Perrone <edp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 00:13:10 -0500

 Is this good for registrants? Should registrars have
the right to control and auction these names and, if so, what is ICANN's
role?  What might this mean for ICANN's delete policy and Verisign's
proposed wait list service?  Do you have an opinion?  Post your views via
email to <forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

NO!! NO!! The registrar has no right in any of the names, only the registrant has those rights. If the registration expires, the name should go back into the pool.

In my view (since you asked), I don't believe registrars should be allowed to own/purchase/traffic in ANY domain names, except perhaps their own name that they use strictly for their own business purposes. Registrars have too much of an advantage, too much "inside information." In addition, simply by tying up hundreds or even thousands of domain names, registrars can artificially inflate the secondary-market prices for those (and other) names.

Registrars trafficking in domain names is a blatant conflict of interest. Names should be FREELY available on the open market. Quite frankly, I am tired of seeing registrars meddling in both the primary and secondary markets for domain names. PLEASE do whatever is necessary to get their hands out of these markets and keep them out.

Thank you for asking for feedback. This issue really strikes a "hot button" with me.

--- Ed

======================== Ed Perrone Interactive Web Development edp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.edperrone.com ========================