ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-forum]

Re: [ga] Teleconference

  • To: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Teleconference
  • From: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:25:08 -0800 (PST)

Excuse me,

Enlighten me, but is this the same man who filled in for Harold as GA chairman
in Melbourne? Shoot four years ago or so he appeared in the largest attended
meeting as chair of the GA in a dirty ragged tee shirt and he ranked of body
odor. I remember a beautifully robed Ghana man and a well suited hardworking
Vietnamese from Hanoi joking what a dishelved pig he was. Gaetanos eyes were
glazed from what and where I do not know. At that time Elizebeth was a mover
and shaker, Jefsey was sitting as a member of the GAC. Joop, YJ, Danny and
others including a beautiful gal from So. America sat and discussed the
difference between Noncoms and individuals. Peter and Peter argued over ccTLD
involvement and accounting.
If this is the same guy somebody wake me up. Isn't he a Nuclear salesman of
some sort.
Perhaps personalities do not matter. Then again maybe they do.
Hey I am not name calling I am just telling the truth. Someone tell me I am
wrong.

Eric

Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I would like to comment on Roberto Gaetano's remarks.  Roberto states:
http://forum.icann.org/mail-archive/alac/msg00951.html

"As for the teleconference before the meeting, I have mixed feelings. If the
purpose is to present the agenda and to gather feedback, a teleconference might
be an overkill. If, on the other hand, what we are aiming for is to set a
precedent for having open teleconferences for discussion, and therefore
interaction among all participants, I would prefer to discuss the implications
of this choice before making a decision.  The problem is, IMHO, scaleability. I
am sympathetic to John's experience as Mayor of his small village. However, I
could hardly see the same approach working for Los Angeles. We are addressing
an AtLarge community that now happens to count a number of active members that
are even outnumbered by the inhabitants of John's village, but we cannot think
that the size will remain that small. As a matter of fact, if we do believe
that the numbers will remain on this order of magnitude, we might as w! ell
close the shop right now and go home.  In other words, we nee!
d to
 design and propose solutions that work for Los Angeles, not for a small
village."

I totally disagree with Roberto.  By comparison I look at the GNSO Business
Constituency.  This is a group that purportedly represents the millions upon
millions of businesses throughout the world.  It currently has 32 members.  If
you subtract those constituency members that have no interest in any DNS issues
other than Intellectual Property concerns (and should frankly be in another
constituency), and then eliminate those businesses that only signed up in order
to become future registry operators, and then subtract those businesses that
participate solely because they are associated with ICANN insiders or act as
fronts for registrars, then at best you will have remaining a mere handful of
firms most of whom never participate on the BC discussion list -- I speak from
experience as my wife's firm was formerly a BC member and privy to the almost
total lack of discussion on the BC list.

So, if the millions upon millions of worldwide businesses are represented by
only a very very few people (and the ICANN Board deems this to be acceptable),
why then should we expect the At-Large community to be any different?  Why
should we ever expect a massive city-sized turnout of individuals that are
prepared to swim through a sea of acronyms: ICANN, ISOC, IAB, IETF, IESG, IRTF,
IANA, W3C, ETSI, ASO, NRO, GAC, ALAC, DNSO, GNSO, ccNSO.

Why should we think that infrastructure policy is so fascinating to the average
man in the street, that he will rise up in a massive hoard and passionately
join deliberations on registrar contract compliance issues, or ruminate over
the titillating nuances of the IRIS protocol and its implications for WHOIS
policy?

It's not going to happen.  It will never happen.  When the Non-Commercial
Constituency was formed it rapidly accrued close to 120 member organizations;
they now have only 37 remaining on their roster of members.  If anything,
public interest in ICANN's activities is diminishing, not expanding, and the
only scalability issue that we face is the need to scale down.

The ALAC only needs to accommodate the participation of a limited number of
activists that choose to represent the interests of the public, in much the
same manner that the business constituency needs to accommodate the
participation of activist Marilyn Cade who no longer represents AT&T but rather
represents only herself as an individual businesswoman.

On a final note, just because activist participation is limited doesn't mean
that we should just close the shop and go home.  Participation is limited for a
number of very obvious reasons:

I don't know about you, but as an individual I can't afford to spend close to
$6000 a year on travel/hotels/etc. just to influence the ICANN Board; neither
can i give up over three weeks of vacation time yearly and deny my family their
needs just to periodically confer with ALAC committee members that have
virtually no policy-formulating power whatsoever within the ICANN structure.

The at-large will never show up in droves at ALAC meetings; they never showed
up in droves at General Assembly sessions either.  Pragmatic realities are such
that at-large participation will invariably be remote.  Recently, Milton
Mueller's Convergence Center demonstrated the facile use of Elluminate
conferencing software in sessions held both in Syracuse and in Geneva.  If you
want a reasonable suggestion... have ICANN purchase some type of quality
conferencing software for the at-large so that participants from around the
globe can readily join in and raise their virtual hands to be recognized by a
moderator, view presentations, hear speakers, and chat simultaneously.

How many millions will ICANN spend next year?  Why not spend a few dollars on
at-large communication/participation tools?  That will have a far greater value
and impact than sending ICANN staff around the planet to set up ALAC outreach
booths.

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!