ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[alac-forum]

IRP designation and IRP procedures

  • To: vint@xxxxxxxxxx, john.jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx, "ICANN Board of Directors" <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, mgallagher@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: IRP designation and IRP procedures
  • From: "Edward Hasbrouck" <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:14:40 -0700

Members of the Board of Directors, Chairperson Cerf, and Corporate
Secretary Jeffrey:

Since there is still no designated e-mail address for ICANN's Board of
Directors as a whole, I request that Secretary Jeffrey forward this
message to each member of the Board of Directors.

I am writing to you in light of (1) your continuing failure to take any
action on my outstanding requests for independent review and stay pending
independent review, (2) your continuing failure to take any publicly
visible step toward a policy development process to designate an
independent review provider or put in place procedures for independent
review of ICANN decisions, (3) your continuing failure to respond to my
requests for information concerning the independent review process,
including the specific questions concerning those procedures in my
messages to you of 5 February 2006 and 7 February 2006, and (4) Dr. Cerf's
remarks regarding my request during your public forum in Wellington on 30
March 2006.

I'm not sure why you won't respond to my requests, but will respond to the
public _about_ my requests.  I believe that, if ICANN is to bring itself
into compliance with its Bylaws and its contractual commitments to the USA
Department of Commerce, you will eventually need to schedule a meeting
where we can discuss this directly. I urge you to do so as soon as
possible, rather than to continue your avoidance, obfuscation, and delay.

In his comments to the public forum, Dr. Cerf began by grossly
mischaracterizing my request as, "A LETTER FROM EDWARD HASBROUCK, WHICH
REPEATS MOST OF HIS CONCERNS ABOUT DOT TRAVEL AND THE INDEPENDENT REVIEW
PROCESS."

As you know, my message to the public forum did not, in fact, repeat *any*
of my substantive concerns about .travel.  My message did not even mention
them.  As you know, my message was concerned solely with my requests for
independent review and stay pending independent review. If it repeated
some of my questions, that was only because I had received no response
whatsoever from ICANN to my previous e-mail message posing those questions
on 7 February 2006. And as you know, my request for independent review is
concerned solely with the (lack of) openness and transparency in the
procedures followed by ICANN's in making its decision on .travel.  It is
not, and could not be, based on anything related to my substantive
concerns about .travel.

It is difficult to interpret this public mischaracterization of my message
as anything other than a deliberate, bad-faith attempt to mislead the
audience in Wellington, and watching the Webcast of the public forum, as
to what issues I was raising.

Dr. Cerf continued:

"MR. HASBROUCK CONTINUES TO BE CONFUSED , I THINK, OR AT LEAST APPEARS NOT
TO BELIEVE THAT THE ICANN BOARD HAS, INDEED, DESIGNATED THE INTERNATIONAL
CENTER FOR DISPUTE RESOLUTION AS ITS INDEPENDENT REVIEW PROCESS OPERATOR.

"ON 19 APRIL 2004, UNDER BOARD RESOLUTION 4.33, THE BOARD DID IN FACT NAME
[ICDR] ITS IRP OPERATOR."

I'm not "confused". Neither, I think, are you.  As you know, and as I
pointed out to you in my message of 11 December 2005 analyzing ICANN
Resolution 04-33, that resolution does not name ICDR as ICANN's IRP
operator.  That resolution merely authorizes (but does not require) a
contract with ICDR to provide services (unspecified) in accordance with a
(secret) proposal.

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/000964.html#ICDR

The resolution does not mandate such a contract.  You have declined to
state, and it is impossible for me to know, whether any such contract was
in fact concluded, or if so, what it says. Nothing in the resolution
indicates that the contract, if there is one, would be exclusive or
constitute the designation of ICDR as the (singular) IRP provider. Indeed,
the language of Resolution 04-34, "adopted" (I do not concede that the
closed teleconference on 4 April 2004, without the required notice or
transparency, constituted a valid meeting) at the same time, strongly
suggests that any contract entered into pursuant to Resolution 04-33 might
not have been exclusive. Finally, there is no mention in Resolution 04-33
of IRP procedures, which ICANN Bylaws require to be approved by the ICANN
Board and posted on the ICANN Web site.

"SO IF MR. HASBROUCK IS CONCERNED THAT WE HAVEN'T OFFICIALLY DONE THAT,
THAT'S THE CITATION THAT SHOULD PUT THAT UNCERTAINTY TO REST."

Since you were fully aware of my questions concerning Resolution 04-33,
and were fully aware that ICANN has neither acknowledged nor made any
attempt to respond to them, you had no basis for any good-faith belief
that mere citation of that resolution would "put to rest" those concerns.
Your claim to that effect to the Wellington public forum appears to have
been a further bad-faith attempt to deceive people at the meeting, and the
public, concerning the degree of your (un)willingness to provide any
justification for your continued inaction on my requests.

"FINALLY, WHAT I'D LIKE TO STRONGLY RECOMMEND IN RESPONSE TO MR.
HASBROUCK'S E-MAIL IS THAT HE DEAL DIRECTLY WITH THE INTERNATIONAL CENTER
FOR DISPUTE RESOLUTION.

"THE METHOD FOR INITIATING AN INDEPENDENT REVIEW IS, IN FACT, TO DEAL WITH
-- DIRECTLY WITH THE OPERATOR OF THE INDEPENDENT REVIEW PROCESS."

In fact, as you know, ICANN's Bylaws require that ICANN must refer
requests for independent review to the IRP provider. The requester herself
or himself could not make the request directly to the IRP provider (even
if ICANN validly had designated an IRP provider and approved procedures
for independent review, which it has not).

MY UNDERSTANDING IS THAT GENERAL COUNSEL HAS SUPPLIED TO MR. HASBROUCK
POINTERS TO THE [ICDR]. BUT IF FOR SOME REASON THOSE AREN'T AVAILABLE TO
HIM OR THEY'VE BEEN LOST, I'M SURE THAT GENERAL COUNSEL CAN SUPPLY THAT
AGAIN....

Mr. Jeffrey has supplied no response to my specific questions concerning
ICDR in my e-mail message to him and you of 11 December 2005, my questions
concerning IRP procedures in my e-mail to him and you of 5 February 2006,
or any of my previous requests for any agreements(s) between ICANN and any
provider(s) of IRP services:

In may be that Mr. Jeffrey "can" supply more information concerning any
agreement(s) that may exist between ICANN and ICDR, or ICANN's contacts at
ICDR. But Mr. Jeffrey has not, in fact, been willing to supply me with any
such information. If Mr. Jeffrey is in fact able to do so -- as you now
claim -- and has refused to do so by choice rather than by inability, that
only exacerbates his culpability for this deliberate nonfeasance as an
officer and staff person of ICANN.

If Mr. Jeffrey is now willing to supply this information, my unanswered
questions concerning the IRP provider and the procedures for independent
review are at:

http://hasbrouck.org/blog/archives/001007.html#procedures

There is, of course, a specific manner in which ICANN is required to
"supply" the public with information concerning the procedures for
independent review: Once those procedures have been approved by the ICANN
Board of Directors under Article 4, Section 3.5 of your Bylaws, you are
required by Article IV, Section 3.13 to post them on the ICANN Web site.
You have not done so.

As you know, the only "pointer" to the ICDR that Mr. Jeffrey has supplied
to me is the URL of the ICDR home page.

There is no mention whatsoever at that URL of ICANN or of procedures for
independent review of decisions by ICANN. I have searched the ICDR Web
site diligently, and I have found no mention on that Web site of
independent review of ICANN decisions, the designation of ICDR to provide
such review, any agreement(s) between ICDR and ICANN, or any procedures
identified as applicable to independent review of ICANN decisions.

There are several sets of rules and procedures for different types of
arbitration listed on the ICDR Web site.  After careful review of each of
them, it does not appear to me that any of them could, without substantial
modification, satisfy the requirements of ICANN's Bylaws for independent
review.

Among other defects, the various ICDR rules and procedures all appear to
be designed for arbitration of disputes between parties to contracts.  But
ICANN's Bylaws provide that "Any person materially affected by a decision
or action by the Board that he or she asserts is inconsistent with the
Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws may submit a request for independent
review of that decision or action."  Independent review is not limited to
parties to contracts with ICANN, and a set of rules and procedures
applicable only to disputes between parties to contracts could not satisfy
the requirements of ICANN's Bylaws.

Although I was not required to do so, I have, as Dr. Cerf "recommended",
contacted the ICDR for their reaction to what I have been told by Dr. Cerf
and Mr. Jeffrey. On 14 April 2006, I called the phone number on the ICDR
home page, +1-212-484-4181.

The person who answered the phone declined to give their name, but said
that, "No, we have no contract with ICANN".  They also said that, "When
you submit a request to us, you have to also submit a contract" providing
for arbitration by ICDR -- which, of course, I would be unable to do,
since I have no contract with ICANN or ICDR, and ICANN has refused to
provide me with its contract(s), if any, with ICDR or with any other
provider(s) of IRP services.  "Without a contract, we cannot initiate the
process", the person at ICDR said.  They said that ICDR has two different
sets of procedures for different types of arbitration, and they couldn't
tell which, if either, might be applicable to independent review of
decisions by ICANN.

I told them that I had been referred to ICDR by ICANN, and that ICANN had
told me ICANN has designated ICDR to provide independent review of ICANN
decisions.  They told me that they knew nothing about this, and suggested
that I contact ICANN.

When I asked ICDR if they could suggest any other possible source of
information as to how to initiate a request for ICDR to arrange an
independent review of an ICANN decision, they referred me to their
"corporate office" at 1-800-778-7879.  At that number, I was connected to
the USA national customer service center of the American Arbitration
Association (AAA).  The AAA seemed to be trying sincerely to be helpful,
but equally sincerely puzzled.  They referred me back to ICDR, suggesting
that I ask for Mr. Thomas Ventrone, Vice President of ICDR.

So I called ICDR again and asked for Mr. Ventrone.  When I did so, I was
directed instead to Mr. Tom Simotas, Case Intake Supervisor for ICDR.  He
assured me that he was the person responsible for determining how to
handle requests to ICDR for arbitration, and he seemed to be trying to
help.  But he was puzzled:

Does ICDR have any procedures applicable to independent review of
decisions by ICANN?  "Not at the moment."

Has ICDR been designated to provide independent review of decisions by
ICANN? "Not that I know of."

Does ICDR have any agreement with ICANN? "Not that I'm familiar with. I've
never heard of ICANN."

Does ICDR have any procedures that would permit someone to request
arbitration without being a party to a contract?  "The text of the
arbitration clause of the contract must be submitted with the request for
arbitration."

If you were to receive a request for independent review of a decision by
ICANN, what would you do with it.  "Nothing.  We couldn't do anything with
it."

Can you suggest any way that I could find out how to initiate a request
for independent review of a decision by ICANN?  "You'd have to ask ICANN
about that."

Do you know why ICANN referred me to you?  "I don't know."

In only one respect was the response I received from ICDR consistent with
the claims made to me by ICANN: Mr. Jeffrey had also said, in his letter
to me of 17 January 2006, that a request under ICDR procedures (he didn't
specify which of the several sets of ICDR procedures) must include "a
reference to the arbitration clause or agreement that is invoked."

In my e-mail of 17 May 2005, I requested that ICANN "provid[e] me with a
complete copy ICANN's policies and procedures (if any) for independent
review, and with a copy of any ICANN contract(s) with independent review
provider(s)."  To date, you have not done so -- in spite of your own
claim, confirmed by ICDR, that it would be necessary to provide a copy of
such an agreement with ICDR in order for ICDR to be able to act on any
request.

Interpreted in the most favorable light, your statements amount to a claim
that in order to initiate a request for independent review, I must first
provide a copy of a document which is under ICANN's exclusive knowledge
and control, and which you have refused to provide me, in spite of
repeated explicit requests.

If you believe in good faith that, as you have claimed, ICANN has
designated the ICDR as its exclusive IRP provider, and that (as ICDR has
confirmed), any request under ICDR's standard procedures would require the
maker of the request to provide a copy of the arbitration agreement before
ICDR could act, your refusal to provide me with that document completely
precludes any possibility for me to pursue a request for independent
review according to the procedures you have recommended.

As such, it is an inexcusable act of wilful nonfeasance in your capacity
as officers, staff, and directors of ICANN, which completely frustrates
any possibility of independent review.

You have no authority under ICANN's Bylaws to pick and choose who will be
allowed to initiate a request for independent review, by picking and
choosing to whom you will disclose the agreement which must be provided in
order to initiate such a request.

I again demand that you provide me, forthwith, with a copy of any
agreement(s) or purported agreement(s) between ICANN and any provider(s)
of independent review services, and with a full explanation of why you did
not provide these documents in response to any of my previous requests.

And I demand of each member of the Board of Directors that you either
compel the officers and staff of the corporation to comply with the
Bylaws, or replace them with officers and staff who will do so.

The ICANN Board of Directors "meeting" of 19 April 2004 was conducted in
secret by closed teleconference (in violation of ICANN's Bylaws), and to
date no minutes of that "meeting" have been published on ICANN's Web site
(in violation of your Bylaws). The proposal by ICDR referred to in
Resolution 04-33 was and remains secret (in violation of your Bylaws), as
is the contract (if any) entered into pursuant to that resolution. Even
the fact of whether any such contract was entered into remains secret.

As a result of this secrecy, it is impossible to know what the Board of
Directors thought you were doing when you "approved" Resolution 04-33, or
what, if any, advice you received from staff and counsel. But I believe
that you are intelligent people, and I presume that by now you have
realized that in acting on that resolution, you did not comply with the
procedural requirements of ICANN's Bylaws for such a policy decision.

Had you published the proposals, and the reasons for them, for the
requisite period of public comment, or conducted the bottom-up consensus-
based policy development process you claim to follow (but rarely follow in
practice), members of the public undoubtedly would have pointed out the
discrepancies between any of ICDR's sets of standard procedures and the
requirements of ICANN's Bylaws.

Your "adoption" of Resolution 04-33, in spite of its substantive and
procedural defects, is symptomatic of chronic flaws in ICANN's decision-
making process:

* lack of concern for noncompliance with ICANN's Bylaws or ICANN's
contracts with the USA government,

* excessive reliance by members of the Board of Directors on
recommendations of staff and counsel,

* failure of the Board to exercise its own due diligence,

* policy-making through secret contract negotiations rather than through
public meetings or deliberations,

* failure to make proposals public before they are adopted, and

* lack of public notice or opportunities for public comment.

I hope that this will be a lesson to you for policy making in other areas.

It's time for you to stop ignoring me, stop stalling me, stop trying to
put me off or send me down dead ends.  Admit that you made a mistake, and
that you need to schedule a public meeting, with proper notice, as soon as
possible, to consider how to begin the process of designating an IRP
provider, developing procedures for independent review, dealing with my
requests for independent review and stay pending independent review, and
dealing with the other outstanding requests for independent review.

I appeal to each of you individually as members of ICANN's Board of
Directors, officers, and staff to take prompt action to bring the
corporation, its officers, and its staff into compliance with its Bylaws
and its contractual commitments.

And I again call to the attention of the Secretary of State of California,
and the USA Department of Commerce, that ICANN does not, in fact, have in
place oversight procedures for independent review of its decisions, as
required by its Bylaws and its Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with the
Department of Commerce.  Accordingly, I request that they initiate
appropriate proceedings to bring ICANN into compliance with its
obligations, to revoke its corporate charter from the state of California,
and/or to terminate the MOU for breach of contract by ICANN

Sincerely,

Edward Hasbrouck

Edward Hasbrouck
<edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>