ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] GAO Report on Domain Names

  • To: John R Levine <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] GAO Report on Domain Names
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 12:31:22 +0100

John R Levine ha scritto:
I have considerable sympathy for the European viewpoint, but this gets to
the important question of whether registering a domain is more like buying
a car or buying a pencil.  To me the arguments for anonymous domain
ownership are about as unpersuasive as arguments for anonymous car
ownership.  A domain is at most a convenience for personal use of the net,
hardly a necessity.  As with car ownership, if you want to use a nominee,
you can, but your nominee takes responsibility for it.

I don't know how it works in the US, but in Italy you do supply your data to get a car plate, but they are not accessible to the public - only to the relevant public officers. Exactly as I was saying, you supply your data but you know that they will be used wisely and through due process.

Your domain, for example, is a subdomain of eu.org and I presume there is
no way to connect it to you without their help.  That's fine so long as
eu.org understands that if you do something awful, they're on the hook for
it.

Well, actually they have whois.eu.org, where you can find all the gory details of my personal life... (perhaps now I will start to get harassed at home from some of the ALAC criticists? :-) )

However, another point that I've made many times but apparently, lost in this mostly ideological war, no one ever listened to, is that while there is a certain percentage of incorrect Whois records that were purposedly forged by the owners to prevent true data from exposure (either for good or bad reasons), there is a much higher percentage of Whois records which are incorrect simply because users are not educated to keeping them accurate, or do not have simple means to do so. Years ago I registered myself as a person record in ~50 cc/gTLDs, while registering the name of the company I was working with at the time. Later I would have liked to update them and reuse them for further domains, but in many cases there was no simple way to get the registry (in most cases ccTLDs do not have registrars) to update it. In some cases the only way was to send an email from my old corporate address, which didn't exist any more. In other cases, there was simply no procedure, apart perhaps from making a phone call in Spanish to Venezuela :-)

If there was a simple way to keep your data on your servers, things might be much better. Actually, I've always been wondering why, since the DNS is distributed, Whois records are centralized. Shouldn't you simply add them to each zone file?
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...