ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Do we care about *.travel ?

  • To: ALAC -- ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>, alac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] Do we care about *.travel ?
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 02:16:00 -0400 (EDT)

Tralliance wants a wildcard in .travel. Their proposal says it'd be just like the one in .museum, but it's not, it'll drop you on a page that offers to sell you the domain and links to their search engine. The original plan for the search engine was that it would be full of .travel domains, but when I take a look at search.travel I see a small number of .travel domains and a whole lot of ask.com paid search results.

The question is what our position as the ALAC is. On the one hand, .travel is just another failed sTLD, who cares. On the other hand, it's a dreadful precedent, would make it easier for TLDs that do matter to get wildcards, and reinforces the bad idea that registries are entitled to do whatever they want to squeeze money out of people.

ICANN has started a comment period that ends on October 18th, so we could send in our comments on time for a change.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor