ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] next Nom Com

  • To: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] next Nom Com
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 22:31:42 +0200

Wendy Seltzer ha scritto:
I don't know of any incompatibility between service on ALAC and Nom
Comm.  That was why I suggested all regions might want to send one of
the ALAC reps.

Uhm... ok, you're the lawyer, you can tell: take the ICANN Bylaws, article VII, section 8:

"No person who serves on the Nominating Committee in any capacity shall be eligible for selection by any means to any position on the Board or any other ICANN body having one or more membership positions that the Nominating Committee is responsible for filling, until the conclusion of an ICANN annual meeting that coincides with, or is after, the conclusion of that person's service on the Nominating Committee."

Now, does that "selection" in the second line only apply to the act of selecting, i.e. a new appointment, or does that also include previous appointments? In other words, does this only say that you can't be appointed to the ALAC if you were appointed to the Nomcom before, or does this also include the opposite sequence?

In any case, even if formally possible, we should also consider whether that situation would be appropriate.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...