ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

RE: [alac] GNSO Liaison Report

  • To: "'Bret Fausett'" <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'John L'" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [alac] GNSO Liaison Report
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 18:26:18 +0200

I agree with Bret.
In the early days, one of the ideas was exactly to have the balance of three
groups: the "professionals" (Registry, Registrars, ccTLDs, RIRs, etc.), the
"business" (IP, commercial, etc.) and the "users" (NonComm, individuals,
etc.).
It did not fly, because the power of the three legs was not balanced in the
participants of the formation phase.
And then, after all, the participation of the first two was a necessity,
while the third was perceived as an optional, also because the public
interest could be represented also by governments.
Anyway, regardless the details, it did not happen then, and it won't be a
report from an University that changes things now.

As of today, the Board has not started a discussion on the report, it is
perceived mainly as something that should be, at least in the initial phase,
discussed within the GNSO. However, I assume that there will be something
going on in Sao Paulo about the issue.

As for ALAC, I assume that the real point is whether, and to which extent,
we can produce results.

Anyway, I appreciate the fact that Danny is worried about our health.
Sometimes I was thinking that the disappearance of ALAC as such was more
suitable to his plans. I guess that his worry is the same as mine, i.e. that
if ALAC disappears it is not obvious that it will be replaced by something
more "powerful" that better represents individual user interests.

Cheers,
Roberto Gaetano
ALAC
ICANN Board Liaison