ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [Fwd: Re: [alac] FW: Review and Recommendations for Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)]

  • To: "Hong Xue" <hongxueipr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [alac] FW: Review and Recommendations for Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)]
  • From: "Siavash Shahshahani" <shahshah@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:09:03 +0330 (IRST)

Just a few quick observations:
1. If I understand correctly, Internet penetration coefficient for China
is around 11%. I believe this 11% is capable of typing in Latin letters
just for the address, even though I agree it is much more desirable to be
able to do it in the native script and IDNs provide additional choice in
domain names. What I wish to emphasize is that despite what some
politicians are saying, IDN is not a PRESSING problem at this time.
2. Verisign is obviously interested in the huge China market, but mainly
for the future. That's why they were(are?)pushing for DNames.
3. I agree with you that research should start(and it has by Klensin and
others) on alternatives to the present DNS.
Siavash