ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

: Re: [alac] FW: Review and Recommendations for Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)]

  • To: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: : Re: [alac] FW: Review and Recommendations for Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)]
  • From: "Siavash Shahshahani" <shahshah@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 19:33:20 +0330 (IRST)

 > I would like to be provocative for once ;>)
>
> Was the introduction of the Ford Model T a PRESSING problem at that time?
> Couldn't folks use public transportation or horses like the vast majority
> of
> the others?
>
> Was the introduction of television a PRESSING problem? Didn't people have
> anything else to do in the evening? (actually, this might be off topic,
> and
> let's stop it before somebody links the subject to the football jerseys
> fashion thread)
>
> Was the introduction of RFC-822-email a PRESSING problem? Couldn't the few
> percent who were using X400 continue with that, and who cares about the
> others anyway?
>
> AH, the good old times of the Internet-Minitel debate in France! I was
> lucky
> enough to be there at that time, and I have to admit it has been an useful
> experience.
>
> (I have been in IBM at the times of the OSI vs. IP debate, another useful
> experience)
>
> Cheers,
> Roberto Gaetano
> ALAC
> ICANN Board Liaison

Why get so excited? I was simply trying to point out that the political
rhetoric surrounding IDN is making it look as if there is a real PRESSING
problem out there that will lead to catastrophic consequences if such and
such is not done. Of course catastrophe could strike, not because the
end-user is hard pressed, but because various opportunists see this as
their chance to discredit ICANN and the present Internet regime. Look at
the heavy emphasis on IDNs in ITU's projected Plenipotentiary. A few years
back ITU tried to convince uninformed third world governments that ICANN
has wrested control of their ccTLDs endangering their sovereignty. This
failed to impress after a while; it was false. Now it is IDN. You have
undoubtedly heard rhetoricians expound how slow progress in IDN is
retarding IT development for hundreds of millions of people around the
globe. I am saying this is BS; what is holding back IT development in most
third world countries is govt-telecom monopolies, access limitations,
filtering, censorship, price of bandwidth,...But politics being a fact of
life, ICANN MUST accelerate its pace, again not because somebody out there
is in dire need of IDN.IDN, but because it will be important in the future
and because it is a political contingency. At my registry we did develop
one of the most sophisticated and efficient IDN systems anywhere because
the technical challenge was very inviting and because we knew that if we
didn't do it the national telecom will get on our back and accuse us of
being indifferent to national needs, etc.  But the result is a very good
system whose time hasn't arrived and is hardly of interest to the end-user
at this time.
Siavash