ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] A report from Athens IGF

  • To: ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] A report from Athens IGF
  • From: "Izumi AIZU" <aizu@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 00:40:46 +0900

Hi,

Apologize for not giving much report on what is going on in IGF, here,
just too busy for many events and discussions and hall way lobbying.

Today is the last day of the IGF, and at lunch time, after closing the
formal meeting, we had ALAC lunch meeting in the nice beach-side
restaurant. We had more than 20 people, many of them are first-time
comer to the ALAC meeting but have genuine interest.

Now folks involved are having EuroRALO meeting together with
Robert joining via telephone conference, but I am in the separate meeting
room for the "emerging issue" discussion of IGF focusing on Youth.

Well, the lunch meeting was informal, after a round of introduction of
all members, we did not have any structured discussion, but it was
a very good opportunity to exchange views and issues of mutual
interests and gradually discussing about ICANN and AtLarge issues.

At the end of the lunch, we got a short "hello" remark from Vivian
Reding, Commissioner of European Commission, Information Society
and Media, to encourage us. She even mentioned that we should reach
the RALO formation in five months, not 4 or 5 years! But she was quite
positive to have ALAC, or individual voices, into ICANN process.
This was, of course, a kind of political diplomacy, but it was quite nice
rather than having nothing.

(She just happened to be having lunch quietly next to us).

izumi

--
                    >> Izumi Aizu <<

           Institute for HyperNetwork Society