ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

Re: [alac] Guide to Domain Names

  • To: "Wendy Seltzer" <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [alac] Guide to Domain Names
  • From: "Siavash Shahshahani" <shahshah@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:05:03 +0330 (IRST)

Hi Wendy,
I really think that a fair and general guide to domain system which can
receive ALAC/ICANN endorsement would be most welcome at least in my
community. People trust such an endorsement, which makes it more
imperative that it be unbiased and clarify common misunderstandings. Let
me give you an example. The IDN table of .ir Registry was sent to IANA
more than a year ago, but it has not appeared yet on the IANA list(for
reasons I don't want to speculate about now). This makes people question
the authoritativeness of our IDN offering, and we are constantly asked
why we're not getting IANA endorsement.
So in short, I think the idea of putting out a guide is a very good one.
I'd be happy to participate in a working group to make it happen.
Best,
siavash