ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Process of Forming the LAC RALO at ICANN Sao Paulo Meeting

  • To: Regional At-Large Structure for Latin America <lac-ralo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [alac] Process of Forming the LAC RALO at ICANN Sao Paulo Meeting
  • From: Nick Ashton-Hart <nashton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 16:02:43 +0000

Dear Latin America and the Caribbean ALS Representatives:

As part of the process of forming the RALO, we have been advised of a few areas which need to be discussed at the meetings in Sao Paulo; you’ll recall that there are a few areas where regional representatives have made proposals which were not rejected, but which have yet to be drafted into the text.

Additionally, ICANN’s Legal Department have advised us that a Public Comment period needs to be observed related to the two documents you have worked on. This public comment period is about to begin. It will shortly be announced on www.icann.org, and the text of that announcement is reproduced below this introduction.

Note that the public comment period should not interfere with the formation of the RALO. There are other procedural elements related to forming the RALO that need to take place in Sao Paulo; we are in the process of confirming the ‘Road Map’ which we will then communicate to you.

I hope that you will all understand that, since the LAC RALO is the first to be formed, you are ‘groundbreaking’ and the result of being first is that the procedure being defined now for you will be followed for the other regions in due course. None of this is meant to be an obstruction to the formation of the region, nor are the issues raised meant to frustrate the efforts you have put in – quite the contrary. In particular, with respect to the points raised below to be discussed at the meeting, whilst in a number of cases the staff will make a proposal, it is just that – a proposal – and the region will be completely free to come up with different approaches to the questions raised.

Of course, any question you have you should feel free to ask; we will of course respond quickly.

The announcement of the consultation can be found at: http:// www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-22nov06.htm.

--
Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart