ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[At-Large Advisory Committee]

[alac] Some surveys the ALAC might do

  • To: ALAC -- ALAC <alac@xxxxxxxxx>, alac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [alac] Some surveys the ALAC might do
  • From: John L <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 16:34:12 -0200 (BRST)

Two meetings ago the ALAC and the ICANN board agreed that it would be a good idea to do some user surveys. We've both dropped the ball since then, but here are some surveys that might be useful:

* What are users' perceptions of domain names? Do users understand the limited meaning of domain names, e.g., when would you type a name into a browser's address bar rather than a search box?

* Do users find value in sTLDs? Is it useful to know that everything in .COOP is a co-op? Do they find travel info from .TRAVEL more reliable than info from other places? Do they find financial information from .MONEY more reliable? Do they know that .MONEY doesn't exist?

* For the minority of users who register their own domains, how important is price? Does $6.50 vs. $6 matter for gTLDs? How about $6 vs. $30 or $50 for sTLDs?

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://johnlevine.com, Mayor