issues
and would like to get your inputs on them - also in respect of preparing the 
ICANN meeting in Lisboa.

Best wishes
Annette

Steve Crocker schrieb:
Vittorio and Annette,

Thanks!

I don't have a detailed agenda in mind, and I think you've covered the main ideas. ICANN cannot directly regulate or respond to every detail, so I think it's essential for improvements to come from education and community pressure, not just contracts and enforcement. A balance is needed.

I think the key first step is to identify the things that go wrong and the improvements we'd like to see. Whenever possible, I'd suggest keeping this separate from specific proposals about how to cause those improvements to happen. Once we have a common understanding and consensus on the destination, we can have good discussions about how best to get there. For example, to take the case you have dealt with, an end-user discovered she(?) did not actually have control of the domain name, and I imagine you would like to see such situations reduced or eliminated. Or, perhaps, simply made very clear so the end-user understands the situation and knows what the rules are. That's the "destination." "Routes" to get there might be via contract and enforcement, or might be via large scale education and publicity, or might involve a combination. Or perhaps yet other ideas beyond these two.

I look forward to further interaction.

Since we are discussing here the potential for joint work with the SSAC, I will take the liberty of sending a copy to the SSAC list.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Crocker steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Try Shinkuro's collaboration technology. Visit www.shinkuro.com. I am steve!shinkuro.com.

On Jan 22, 2007, at 6:05 PM, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

Steve Crocker ha scritto:
Let me take this opportunity to make you a specific offer. Within SSAC we are now looking for opportunities to work together with other groups on matters which are of interest to the other group and which have a security and/or stability component. We are currently working closely with the Root Server System Advisory Committee (RSSAC) on a technically complex matter of adding IPv6 addresses to the root zone for the root servers. This is working out very well, and I am eager to partner with other groups. We are quite open to working with the ALAC -- or other groups -- in a joint effort to improve the safety of the marketplace for registrants. If this is of interest, let's lay the groundwork for substantive interaction when we're all together in Portugal in March.

I have forwarded your offer to the rest of the ALAC, and there is consensus that it would be good to meet in Lisbon and to discuss what we could do together, and maybe even prepare the matter before. I am now copying this message to Annette Muehlberg, who is the current Chair of the ALAC, so that you might get in touch and arrange something.

I don't know whether you had specific ideas, but perhaps we could work on a common proposal about things that ICANN could do to help registrants achieve better protection, ranging from best practices to new contractual requirements to registrars and through them to resellers. Perhaps we could start an email loop among subgroups, or open a specific mailing list, or... what else?

Regards,
--vb. Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu <--------
--------> finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/ <--------

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy