ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[allocationmethods]

A suggestion for allocation method

  • To: allocationmethods@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: A suggestion for allocation method
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:34:29 -0400

_Auction with proceeds going to the public good_

I think an auctioning method should be used for these rare domain name resources. I also think that establishing the auctions should be contingent on also establishing a separate fund for a benevolent foundation that would receive all of the income above costs from these auctions.

I think the charter of this ICANN Foundation should include activities such as:

- Capacity building for those residents of developing and or digital-divide challenged areas. This should cover all the capabilities involved in creating registries and registrars in
    developing areas.

- Capacity building would include both education and grants for specific projects. E.g.

- Grants to assist those from developing areas in applying to become registrars

- Grants to assist those from developing areas in applying for new locally relevant gTLDs

  - Grants to assist those from developing areas to become registries

All grants should be predicated on actual need, and soundness of a plan which includes discussions on how they will achieve a self sustaining entity. All grant decisions should be made by a panel that is uninvolved in ICANN Staff, AC, SO or Board.

The foundation should be established according to all the rules of transprency and accountablity to the public good and must be established as independent from either ICANN or US DoC oversight, though it should have publicly accountable oversight.

Avri Doria