ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[allocationmethods]

Trademarked Domain Issues

  • To: allocationmethods@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Trademarked Domain Issues
  • From: "FAITH ZULU" <faithzulu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2007 16:08:17 +0000

I am just wondering why someone would bid for a domain name which has
a trademark on it? Who wants to invest in trademarked property? I f
Yahoo has trademark on Y.Com you can pay millions for the domain but
you will never be able to use it. You might even lose it under Uniform
Dispute Resolution.I think there should be  a sunrise period for
trademark holders to avoid unnecessary litigation. The value of a
domain is in its usability and only trademark holders can release the
potential use of a domain name. It is always advised to avoid
registering trademarked domains.It is a fight which is very difficult
to win. Think before you lose millions. If you have no trademark on
the domain name just know you have lost the fight before it begins. As
far as I am concerned ICANN is realising these domain names because of
requests from trademark holders like Yahoo. This is a consultation on
decisions which were made years ago. ICANN know what it will do
regardless of our thoughts. Get ready for the greatest domain name
lawsuits.

FAITH ZULU