ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[asia-tld-agreement]

.ASIA is a differentiated and useful namespace for the community

  • To: <asia-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .ASIA is a differentiated and useful namespace for the community
  • From: "edmon@isochk" <isochk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 01:53:52 -0400

I am writing this as a personal response to the inquiries received with regards
to the .ASIA agreement.  While I am a volunteer for the DotAsia Organization
and have been involved in the process since its beginnings, these views do not
represent the organization.

The .ASIA domain is clear in its differentiation and boundary from other gTLDs
and provides a useful namespace for the community.  The governance structure
allows the DotAsia Organization to leverage the knowledge and experience from
the community, especially in the areas most relevant to the operation of a TLD.

The DotAsia Organization has proactively reached out to the government
representatives in the community and sought their input with regards to the
orderly launching of the TLD, especially with regards to the protection of the
rights of others.  In this regard, I believe the important issue is the balance
between the governmental, commercial and the public interests.  The
considerations for these have been clearly articulated throughout the new TLD
process, including clarifications provided to the board.  Furthermore, the
proposed process has the potential to accommodate situations for which parties
having legitimate claims to a particular domain can be resolved without
relegation to a dispute.

The startup process also reflects the fruits from the discussion with
government and ccTLD representatives from the community.  I believe that the
behaviours and the actions from the DotAsia initiative, throughout the process,
have been consistent in its reverence and diligence to the stakeholders and the
community at large.  There is demonstrated commitment for continued proactive
out reach and dialogue to try to address issues as best as possible.

As I understand, and by comparing the proposed contract with other contracts
entered into for this round of Sponsored gTLD RFP, much of the terms and
conditions, including the appendices, describe a similar framework for the
relationship with ICANN and its scope of work as a sponsor and operator of a
Sponsored gTLD.

It seems to me that the comments raised have been discussed in depth before.

Edmon Chung