ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[atrt-public-input]

Accountability and Transparency Comment

  • To: atrt-public-input@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Accountability and Transparency Comment
  • From: Andrew Mack <amack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 14:25:59 -0700 (PDT)

I looked back recently at my posting for the Draft Plan for Institutional
Confidence just over a year ago.  And while ICANN has made some strides, I
remain concerned that a lot more could be done to improve accountability and
transparency.

Translation remains an issue.  I have heard first hand as recently as this past
Brussels meeting from any number of participants that translation services are
not available where they are needed most, namely in the non-plenary sessions
where most delegates – especially those from Emerging Markets and newer
participants – feel comfortable speaking.

Moreover, even in the plenary where translation is mostly available, the
attitude of English-fluent Board Members has long struck me at times as almost
dismissive when people come forward in a language other than English.  The
language issue remains a barrier to participation for many, and I believe this
is still an area where accountability demands that our words and deeds match up
much more.

More importantly, but also related to language is the issue of IDNs.  After
years and many promises, we’re finally making progress on the IDN front.  Now,
finally, IDNs are coming to the web. However, they remain the exclusive
province
of the ccTLDs.  There is no plan to fast track IDNs for the gTLDs used by the
vast majority of businesses and consumers.  There is no plan for IDN gTLDs in
the academic or NGO space (.org and .edu).  Why?

As early as the Paris ICANN meeting we discussed this issue.  I was told in the
ccNSO meeting that there was no preference – that the ccIDNs would move forward
on a fast track but that ICANN would be looking at the gIDNs in the near term
as
well – and that both would likely come to the public at about the same time.
 Now its two years later and I have heard nearly zero about any kind of fast
track for gIDNs.

I do not believe that favoring the ccIDNs makes sense for consumers.  I’ve
always believed that consumers want and deserve choice, so having both ccIDNs
and gIDNs available at the same time was the right thing for our supposed
audience, global Internet users.

The fact is that very few ccTLDs currently have agreements with ICANN.  The
fact
is that while a small number of gTLDs constitute most of ICANN’s budget, ccTLD
contributions to ICANN are shockingly low.  I sat at the ccNSO meeting in
Nairobi when Chris Disspain urged cc operators to contribute much more.  The
fact is that the .org, .edu and private sector gTLDs have been the most dynamic
parts of the web for years.  Looking at these facts, this favoritism for the
ccIDN hardly seems smart for ICANN.

Accountability and transparency issues are fundamentally about access and
choice. ICANN is doing better, but I believe we’ve still got a long way to go.

Thank you.
Andrew Mack

Andrew A. Mack
Principal